We did it folks! This diverse and sometimes combative collection of Liberals and ‘Never Trump’ conservatives came together and after 5 long years (I include the 2015 campaign) we are victorious!
Well… maybe just Woo for now?
Huh? Why is that you ask?
Yes, we should be celebrating, we should be high fiving each other, but I just can’t get there. Something feels off. We all feel it to some degree. I am sure you see it in the comments of social groups and news feeds and have talked to others about it in person.
There is this almost palpable collective anguish out there and we really … REALLY need to talk about it. We can’t ignore it or it will grow like a weed and take over.
We absolutely, without question, have a massive mental health crisis in this country right now. Yes, the virus, the economy, the climate, racism, civil unrest, it all adds to the stress. But there is something else that is more insidious at work here and it’s the existential issue of who we are as human beings. More to the point, it’s about the mental and moral state of people who supported Trump.
I know that is a heavy burden to put on Trump supporters. But it’s the exact reason we ended up with an unstable sociopath in the White House and it’s why we are so divided and why we are in such a crisis. Trump is the Pied Piper of the paranoid. They blindly follow him, even at their own peril. That’s not good folks.
As much as mental health is an issue, things like simple logic (figuring out how to cross a busy street) ordinary common sense (not poking an angry bear) accepting basic science (knowing the Earth is NOT FLAT) and having empathy for those in pain and compassion for people who briefly need help …. all those things and more… are under attack from people who saw fit to support Trump.
Trump certainly didn’t create this mindset, he just played off of it and used it to his advantage. He did that by creating a safe space for delusional thinking, just by the very act of running for President. He legitimized ugly behavior and openly encouraged it.
So even though we won this election,Trump and his supporters are not going away and neither are all of the issues that define them.
We are going to have to figure out how to deal with these extremely serious life altering issues, not only addressing who we are as a country but more importantly who we are as a people.
We simply must address this crisis and do so with urgency. If we don’t, someone like Trump will take his place, maybe someone worse than we can even imagine.
I voted for Joe and Kamala because I knew they wanted us to heal as a people, not just as a country.
They can’t be expected to do that alone.
So yes, go ahead and celebrate… WOOHOO!
Then rest… really really rest…
Then roll up your sleeves because we have a lot of work to do.
Like our first woman president Hillary Clinton used to say (just go with me on that) “We are stronger together.”
from the mind of a Liberal American Warrior
- WooHoo We WON! Well Maybe Just WOO? - November 7, 2020
- The ‘Survivalists’ Are Having Trouble Surviving Without A Haircut - April 22, 2020
- Are Your Children being “Spiritually Raped” in Public School? (Video) - February 13, 2017
- Does the Media Really Ignore Terrorist Attacks? - February 9, 2017
- Inauguration Day Resistance – Make A Plan! - January 11, 2017
- GOP Logic – Let’s Ban Banning Of Plastic Bags!!! Screw Pollution! - January 4, 2017
- Racist Granny Goes OFF At JCPenny – Tells Hispanic Women “Speak English” - December 22, 2016
- It’s Time for the Liberal Storm to Gather and Strike Back - December 20, 2016
- Ivanka Trump Auctions Off Coffee Date For Exorbitant Amount Of Money - December 15, 2016
- Post Traumatic Trump Disorder? Here’s Some Things You Can Do To Combat It - December 13, 2016