For the better part of four years, the religious right has peddled a false narrative about Donald Trump. To hear them talk, Russia didn’t hack the election–God did. Supposedly, the Almighty did so because he didn’t just want Trump to make America great again, but make America Christian again. So while the rest of us see an almost daily spate of outrages, the nation’s so-called moral guardians see nothing but sweet success.
One of the most shameless peddlers of this false narrative is James Robison. One of the more prominent religious right luminaries from the 1980s, Robison abruptly got out of politics in 1983, claiming his fire-and-brimstone attacks on gays and abortion were demonically driven. However, he has returned to the battlefield with a vengeance since 2010, and has declared all-out war on the “ungodly forces” attacking the country. He also argues that if you support abortion and marriage equality, you’re not fit to lead.
With a dossier like that, it’s no surprise that Robison has become an open and unashamed Trump supporter. He is a member of Trump’s evangelical advisory board, and has shamelessly peddled the narrative that Trump has brought sweet glory to our nation. You have a really funny definition of glory, James. After all, you’re supporting a guy who revels in degrading women, throws racial slurs like candy, has lied over 10,000 times, etc., etc., ad nauseum.
Well, last weekend, Robison took the false narrative to another level. He would have us believe that Trump is actually sweet and kind to the media. He made the short drive from his home in Fort Worth to the studios of KSKY, a Christian radio station in Dallas, for a chat with conservative talk show host Mark Davis. People for the American Way’s Right Wing Watch got a clip.
Robison told Davis that he could not recall a man who ever “treat(ed) a mean media” nicer than Trump. He claimed that every time Trump speaks to reporters, he has to deal with “people committed to lynch him, to destroy him”–and yet, is still “courteous and polite to them.”
With all due respect, James, your definition of courteousness and politeness is as warped as your definition of glory. So a man who openly admits that he deliberately attacks the media in order to make us not trust them is doing so because he’s being sweet and kind? So a man who allowed his press secretary to slander a reporter with false claims that he assaulted a White House aide trying to take the mic from him is being sweet and kind to the media? So a man who claims the mainstream media is the “enemy of the American people” is being sweet and kind?
Robison was saying this as part of a maudlin, mawkish paean to Trump. He claimed that Trump was an answer to “the prayers of righteous, godly people,” and was “fighting for everything that matters to God, to us.” He claimed that Trump once told him, “We don’t care about ourselves. We want what’s best for the American people.”
This isn’t the first time that Robison has peddled alternative facts about how Trump treats the media. Back in June, he claimed that Trump’s politeness to the media is evidence that he honors God. It only makes this latest spate of alternative facting even more sordid.
- Trumpkin Pastor: Coronavirus Outbreak Started In A Lab - February 21, 2020
- Lou Dobbs: Judges Are Having ‘Convulsions’ About Rule Of Law - February 18, 2020
- Diamond And Silk Bow Down To Trump–But Think They Can Drag Bloomberg - February 16, 2020
- Trump-Worshiping Pastor: Mayor Pete’s Rise Is ‘Death Rattle’ For America - February 15, 2020
- Trump Tried To Unmask The Whistleblower–Again - February 12, 2020
- Wingnut Pastor: Snowflakes Can’t Handle A Real Man Like Trump - February 10, 2020
- Donald Jr.: Adam Schiff Helped My Dad Pull Off Friday Night Massacre - February 8, 2020
- Trumpkin Prophetess: Voting To Remove Trump Was Act Of ‘Insurrection’ - February 7, 2020
- Fundie Host Calls Buttigieg Poor Role Model–But Worships Trump - February 6, 2020
- Now We Know: GOP Tax ‘Reform’ Really Was A Loser - February 4, 2020