Whenever a major plague or disaster hits, one thing has become almost as certain as death and taxes. Some wingnut preacher, or a cabal of wingnut preachers, warns that said disaster or plague is punishment from God for allowing abortion or giving LGBT people civil rights. Well, like clockwork, it’s happened with the coronavirus outbreak. A hard-right evangelist warned several blue states that they will pay a heavy price for their decision to effectively flip off God by increasing abortion rights–coronavirus is headed their way.
Last week, Pittsburgh-area based evangelist Jonathan Shuttlesworth took to Periscope to give his take on the coronavirus outbreak. People for the American Way’s Right Wing Watch got a clip.
Shuttlesworth repeated what has become one of the common far-right shibboleths about coronavirus–it was “a plot from the deep state to practice shutting America down” in order to control population growth. But according to Shuttlesworth, those swamp creatures reckoned without God. He claimed that because Donald Trump has been steadfast in his support for Israel, this country will be “minimally affected” by coronavirus.
Later on, Shuttlesworth added “a little caveat” to his prediction. He warned that if you lived in a state that expanded abortion rights in the wake of Trump’s upset victory, your state essentially decided to flip off God. And supposedly, the Almighty is not pleased.
I exclude from my prediction the Pacific Northwest, California, and New York, because in a God honoring nation, those are four places that have chosen to give God the middle finger in the shape of an Empire State Building lit up in pink to celebrate the passage of the…that you can kill a baby.
Shuttlesworth was referring to the World Trade Center being lit up in pink after the newly-minted Democratic majority in the New York state senate expanding abortion rights. Notably, the new law moved abortion statutes out of the criminal code. Abortion foes wailed that this, and similar pushes in Virginia, amounted to a push for infanticide. Never mind that it’s extremely rare for an infant to be born alive after an attempted abortion.
But such little things as facts didn’t matter to Shuttlesworth. He warned that if we see a lot of coronavirus cases in Washington, Oregon, and California, it’s because “your government matters.” He added that if a a major outbreak happens in New York, “don’t be surprised.”
Notice what was missing from Shuttlesworth’s screed? Any words of comfort to those affected by this scourge. No, no–he was effectively telling them that if you live in a state that decided to flip off God, this is what they’re getting. How Christian.
- Arizona Wingnut Wants Women To Do Hard Time For Abortion - January 27, 2021
- Congresswoman Wails About Pronouns, But Is Okay With Lying About Election - January 23, 2021
- GOP Congresswoman: It’s ‘Indisputable’ Trump Needed To Be Impeached - January 17, 2021
- ‘Prophetic’ Writer: God Allowed Attack On Capitol To Rebuke Democrats - January 14, 2021
- Trump Lawyer: You Can’t Have ‘Smooth Transition’ If Trump Is Pushed Out - January 10, 2021
- Fundies Want Proof Biden Won Even After Trump Tried To Steal Georgia - January 4, 2021
- Trumpkin Lawyer Thinks VP Pence ‘Will NEVER Certify A Lie’ - December 30, 2020
- Trumpkin Pastor: Accept Trump As God’s ‘Key Instrument,’ Or Shut Up - December 19, 2020
- Trumpian preachers: Evangelical Prophets or Evangelical Prevaricators? - December 17, 2020
- Matt Gaetz: Only A ‘Partisan Hack’ Accepts That Trump Lost - December 12, 2020