For the last year-plus, the religious right has worked overtime to warn Donald Trump’s foes. Their explanation? We may think Russia hacked the election, but God actually did the hacking in order to put Trump into the White House. Therefore, if you don’t see that Trump is making America great again, it’s because the devil is playing you like a violin.
That line seems to be striking a chord somewhere. According to a recent poll from Public Religion Research Institute, a whopping 75 percent of white evangelicals approve of Trump’s performance. By comparison, Trump struggles to get his overall approval ratings out of the 40s. At one point, his support among evangelicals dipped as low as 62 percent–still well ahead of Trump’s overall numbers. But it looks like a good number of the 81 percent of white evangelicals who voted for Trump in 2016 are coming home.
How is that possible? Well, the folks at People for the American Way’s Right Wing Watch recently found one explanation. According to one of Trump’s loudest fundie cheerleaders, those who oppose Trump are being controlled by the devil himself.
For some time, Lance Wallnau has been one of Trump’s most ardent fundie supporters. Wallnau is one of the leading minds behind the New Apostolic Reformation, an overtly fascist offshoot of the religious right that believes it can bring about the Second Coming by taking over the world. Specifically, he is one of the main proponents of the “Seven Mountains strategy”–the idea that Christians must take over the forces that influence our culture so they can hand the world to Jesus when he returns. Watch Wallnau explain it here.
Wallnau has been on the Trump train for a while; in a 2016 blog post, he claimed that God picked Trump to be a “wrecking ball to the spirit of political correctness.” For some time, he has maintained that the opposition to Trump is demonically driven.
Just in case Wallnau hadn’t already made that clear, he quadrupled down in a Friday message to his Facebook followers. Right Wing Watch got a clip.
Wallnau warned those who have “a visceral hatred” of Trump that they’re opening the door for Satan to “take over more and more of your mind and more and more of your heart.” Arguing that Trump is covered by God’s authority, he claimed that Christians’ place is to intercede for Trump so the devil can’t use his faults to attack him. As he put it, we’re not supposed to call out a flaw in Trump, but “cover it.”
He then delivered a dire warning to those calling out Trump’s outrages. Since Trump is “a man of God” and “a man who God has anointed,” those who attack him expose themselves to “the same warfare he’s under.” As he put it, “you’re going to let the devil into your house.”
So if we call out Trump for retweeting hateful and violent memes against his foes, we’re exposing ourselves to the devil. Ditto if we’re concerned about the prospect of collusion with Russia and funny business with the Stormy Daniels saga.
Here’s a news flash, Lance. A number of Christians, including this writer, know this country has been swindled–and are praying for this swindle to be exposed so there is a country to save. Despite your attempts to warn us and peddle an explanation, we will persist. And perhaps you should change your name to Lance Armstrong Wallnau. After all, if you’re still this loyal to Trump, it’s clear you have the same scruples–or lack thereof–as Lance Armstrong.
- Arizona Wingnut Wants Women To Do Hard Time For Abortion - January 27, 2021
- Congresswoman Wails About Pronouns, But Is Okay With Lying About Election - January 23, 2021
- GOP Congresswoman: It’s ‘Indisputable’ Trump Needed To Be Impeached - January 17, 2021
- ‘Prophetic’ Writer: God Allowed Attack On Capitol To Rebuke Democrats - January 14, 2021
- Trump Lawyer: You Can’t Have ‘Smooth Transition’ If Trump Is Pushed Out - January 10, 2021
- Fundies Want Proof Biden Won Even After Trump Tried To Steal Georgia - January 4, 2021
- Trumpkin Lawyer Thinks VP Pence ‘Will NEVER Certify A Lie’ - December 30, 2020
- Trumpkin Pastor: Accept Trump As God’s ‘Key Instrument,’ Or Shut Up - December 19, 2020
- Trumpian preachers: Evangelical Prophets or Evangelical Prevaricators? - December 17, 2020
- Matt Gaetz: Only A ‘Partisan Hack’ Accepts That Trump Lost - December 12, 2020