One of the most nauseating anecdotes of the last three years is the religious right’s willingness to bow down to Donald Trump. They don’t mind that Trump’s approach to governing resembles that of the chief executive of a badly run business at best, and like a crime boss at worst.
No, no–none of that matters as much as the fact he’s given them what they want on abortion and marriage equality, among other pet issues. This confirms what longtime religious-right watchers like yours truly have long suspected–the religious right is shot through with moral bankruptcy.
On Wednesday, one of Trump’s loudest fundie supporters gave us an idea of just how morally bankrupt a significant element of the religious right really is. Even though he knows Russia has become a cesspool of corruption and tyranny under Vladimir Putin, he thinks Putin isn’t nearly as dangerous as liberals here in the States. Why? Wait for it–he gives Christians what they want on social policy.
Lance Wallnau is one of the nation’s chief Trump worshipers. He thinks that those who oppose Trump risk letting the devil into their lives. He believes that Robert Mueller’s investigation has caused a demonic cloud to loom over Trump, and even suggested that God’s reputation could be harmed if it or anything else results in Trump getting bounced from office.
For some time, I’ve mused that Wallnau ought to change his name to Lance Armstrong Wallnau. After all, if he’s still bullying his followers into backing Trump in the face of the almost daily outrages coming from this White House, his moral code is no different from that of Lance Armstrong.
If there was any doubt this was the case, it was erased on Wednesday, when Wallnau sat down with another diehard Trump-worshiper, Jim Bakker. People for the American Way’s Right Wing Watch got a clip.
Wallnau suggested that when “the establishment right and the entire left” all despise Russia, it should be reason to be suspicious. To his mind, it was because Putin has let it be known that he wants no part of marriage equality.
“Don’t ever underestimate the hostility that America’s system has toward anyone who won’t bow the knee to the orthodoxy of the homosexual agenda. So he says that he believes in Christianity, and he supports the state church, and he’s shutting down the LGBT community. That is the unpardonable sin to the liberal.”
No, Lance. What outrages us is that Putin actively interfered in our election–possibly with the help of Trump campaign officials. What outrages us is that in Russia, opposition is barely tolerated and the media are more or less an arm of the state. What outrages us is that Russia is one of the most corrupt nations on the planet.
Incredibly, Wallnau admitted later on that Putin ran Russia like “a Mafia chief.” But he didn’t seem to mind. Why?
“As a Christian, if you are faithful to Russia and you are not a danger to his government, you are probably not going to find him an adversary in your own nation. I fear more liberals in America than I fear Putin in Russia.”
So you admit that Putin is a thug, but think he’s not as dangerous as the liberals? Oh, that’s right. It’s been amply established that Trump is a thug, and you’re still all-in for him.
If there was any doubt that Wallnau was morally bankrupt, this pro-Putin spiel should amount to the moral equivalent of a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing.
- Black Pastor: Racist Michigan City Council Candidate Isn’t A Racist - August 24, 2019
- Black Trumpkin Misses Point About Why We’re Upset About Bad Cops - August 24, 2019
- Trumpkin Prophet: ‘Secret Prayer’ Kept Mueller Report From Tanking Trump - August 22, 2019
- Fundies Wonder Why People Who Know About Religion Don’t Like Them - August 21, 2019
- QAnon Kook-In-Chief Smears Chrissy Teigen–Again - August 19, 2019
- False Prophet Warns Against Supporting Dems, Explains It’s ‘Spiritual Treason’ - August 18, 2019
- False Prophet: Bow And Pray To The Orange God, Or You’ll Burn Forever - August 17, 2019
- Activists Who Fight Against Fundies In Military Reveal Some Of Their Hate Mail - August 14, 2019
- QAnon Kook-In-Chief: Q May Have Planned For Epstein To Die In His Cell - August 12, 2019
- Leading Trumpkin Refuses To Accept Reality That Jeffrey Epstein Killed Himself - August 11, 2019