By now, you know that on Friday, Donald Trump embarrassed himself and the nation by openly siding with Russia against our allies–a move that even had some Republicans up in arms. But believe it or not, that wasn’t the most outrageous thing Trump did on Friday. Not by a longshot. He not only refused to condemn his lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, for suggesting that Stormy Daniels shouldn’t be taken seriously because she’s a porn star. Far from it–he actually agreed with Rudy.
In case you missed it, Giuliani was speaking in Tel Aviv earlier this week when he harrumphed that Daniels had no business complaining about her reputation being damaged due to Trump’s attempt to keep her from telling about her alleged affair with him a decade ago. Why? Wait for it–porn stars don’t have a reputation to damage. Watch here.
Rudy suggested that he would put Daniels through the wringer if he cross-examined her because “the business that you’re in entitles you to no degree of giving your credibility any weight.” After all, he’s of the mind that “if you sell your body for money, you don’t have a reputation.”
This was slut-shaming, plain and simple. Regardless of what you think about porn actresses, to suggest that Daniels can’t possibly be telling the truth about giving Trump satisfaction just because she’s a porn star is incredibly degrading.
There’s another reason Giuliani’s comments are an outrage. Imagine a porn actress who’s thinking about leaving an abusive relationship. She happens to hear the lawyer for the president of the United States, a man who was once one of the most celebrated prosecutors in the country, suggest that she shouldn’t be taken seriously because of her lifestyle.
Sentiments like that are exactly why victims of domestic violence and sexual assault don’t come forward. They hear degrading claptrap like this and think, “No one’s going to believe me, so why bother?” As a domestic violence survivor myself, I’ve lived this. I stayed in an emotionally abusive and controlling marriage for three years in part because I was afraid that no one would believe a 6-2 guy could be controlled by a 5-3 woman.
Any president with even an iota of decency, whether he or she was a Democrat or a Republican, would have fired a lawyer who made such outrageous comments on the spot and publicly apologize. You would have thought that this would have been too much even for Trump. After all, he has two daughters and a 12-year-old son. But the 48 hours since Giuliani made those remarks were met with radio silence from the White House.
That silence was finally broken as Trump headed for the G-7 Summit. Watch here.
When asked about Giuliani’s comments, Trump said simply, “I’m not going to disagree with him on that.”
I had to listen to this twice in order to believe it. Trump effectively told the American people that he’s perfectly fine with his lawyer engaging in slut-shaming on his behalf.
It cannot be repeated enough–this is not only the president of the United States, but a father of two daughters and a 12-year-old son. And he’s okay with his own lawyer engaging in such pigweed? What nerve this so-called man has.
Trump has had dozens of chances over the years to prove that he can lead–and has blown most of them eight ways to Sunday. This may be one of the most outrageous moments yet. It is yet more evidence that he is the most unfit and unqualified president in recent memory.
- This Trump Judicial Choice Doesn’t Please The Religious Right - October 14, 2018
- Phil Robertson: Dems Were ‘Satanic’ For Trying To Stop Kavanaugh - October 12, 2018
- RWNJ Pundit Warns That George Soros Is ‘Right-Hand Man’ Of Antichrist–At Least - October 12, 2018
- Saudis Had Contract On Dissident, White House Knew And May Have Done NOTHING - October 10, 2018
- Trump Thinks Murkowski Was ‘Disgraceful’ To Put Basic Decency Over Party - October 8, 2018
- Kimberly Guilfoyle Proves She’s A Trump, Takes Cheap Shot At Beto O’Rourke - October 7, 2018
- Fundie Publisher Dismisses Blasey Ford’s Claims As ‘Nickel And Dime Stuff’ - October 5, 2018
- Wingnut Radio Host: Blasey Ford ‘Deserves Mockery’, Is ‘Not An Innocent Woman’ - October 5, 2018
- Mississippi GOP ‘Leaders’ Remain Silent After Trump Trashes Blasey Ford (VIDEO/TWEETS) - October 3, 2018
- Kavanaugh’s Roomie At Yale: FBI Never Called Me During Those Six Investigations (TWEET) - October 2, 2018