It’s been amply established that Donald Trump is one of the most manifestly unfit people to occupy the White House. A good argument can be made that he is the most unfit. We got more proof of that on Sunday morning. When NBC News’ Chuck Todd dared to criticize Trump’s North Korea policy, Trump responded with what looked like a typical 280-character rant against the “fake news media.” But there was one difference–he did so in a manner that was blatantly anti-Semitic.
On Sunday’s edition of the “Today” show, Todd wondered if Trump was giving too much away ahead of direct talks with North Korean tyrant Kim Jong-un. Watch Todd’s comments here.
Todd told guest host Hallie Jackson that while Kim’s “tone of cooperation” was a good sign, a lot of people were wondering if Pyongyang was getting more out of it than Washington.
“What has the United States gotten yet? We don’t have a release of any of those Americans that they held captive. We don’t have a pledge of denuclearization as the ultimate goal. There’s a lot of things they are not promising that is raising some red flags.”
Predictably, Trump hit the ceiling.
But this wasn’t just a typical Trump attack on the press. Notice how Trump called Todd “sleepy eyes”? It turns out that he was using an old anti-Semitic slur.
Trump has called Todd “sleepy eyes” several times since 2012, if not earlier. For instance, he used that insult during his now-infamous rally for failed Pennsylvania congressional candidate Rick Saccone. Watch here.
Last spring, Brian Johnson of Empty Lighthouse did some digging after one of those times.
Johnson discovered that “sleepy eyes” was frequently used in Nazi times as a way to “identify” Jews. The term has been revived by white nationalist sites like Stormfront; supposedly, a Jew’s eyes look “sleepy.”
It’s no secret that Todd is Jewish; he frequently talks about his Jewish upbringing. Frankly, it seems hard to believe that Trump, a lifelong New Yorker, wouldn’t know what he was doing when he hurled an anti-Semitic slur at a high-profile Jewish journalist.
Once the anti-Semitic dimensions of this latest Trump rant became known
There’s even less reason to give Trump the benefit of the doubt. During the campaign, he infamously tweeted a picture of Hillary Clinton superimposed over a pile of cash, alongside a Star of David. Additionally, late in the campaign, he gave a speech in West Palm Beach in which he railed about Hillary being in cahoots with “international banks”–a polite term for “Jews.” Just hours before that speech, Trump’s quasi-official Twitter campaign account blasted out this.
He used audio for that speech in his final campaign ad. Watch it here.
As Josh Marshall of Talking Points Memo noted, some of the more inflammatory statements from that speech were juxtaposed with clips of well-known Jews like George Soros, Janet Yellen, and Lloyd Blankfein.
In the absence of something we haven’t heard or seen, the president of the United States has–once again–seen fit to use a blatantly anti-Semitic trope to attack one of his critics. And in light of his past behavior, he has done so in a way that can only be described as blowing a dog whistle into a megaphone. The mere fact that we even have to mention this should outrage any fair-minded American. It’s yet more proof that Trump is not fit to clean the White House, let alone serve in it.
- Fundies Wonder Why People Who Know About Religion Don’t Like Them - August 21, 2019
- QAnon Kook-In-Chief Smears Chrissy Teigen–Again - August 19, 2019
- False Prophet Warns Against Supporting Dems, Explains It’s ‘Spiritual Treason’ - August 18, 2019
- False Prophet: Bow And Pray To The Orange God, Or You’ll Burn Forever - August 17, 2019
- Activists Who Fight Against Fundies In Military Reveal Some Of Their Hate Mail - August 14, 2019
- QAnon Kook-In-Chief: Q May Have Planned For Epstein To Die In His Cell - August 12, 2019
- Leading Trumpkin Refuses To Accept Reality That Jeffrey Epstein Killed Himself - August 11, 2019
- Chief QAnon Kook’s Silence On Elephant In Epstein Room Is Telling - August 8, 2019
- Young McConnell Supporter Apologizes For AOC Choke Joke - August 6, 2019
- Very Fine Young McConnell Supporters Think It’s OK To Choke AOC - August 5, 2019