On January 20th of last year, this country morphed into Bizarro World! Since then left is right, down is up, adversaries are best buds and allies are national security threats.
Now that we have embraced the “dark side,” we have a man in the oval office that:
- Claims a “great relationship” with the murderous Philippine President, Rodrigo Duterte.
- Calls Kim Jong Un “very honorable.“
- Chats regularly with pal (and some would say “puppet-master”) Vladimir Putin.
On the flip side, our old allies are now national security threats! You know, countries like Germany, France, Canada and China (Except that part of China that supports Trump business and their friends like ZTE.)
More evidence of this came during a May 25th phone call between Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Not only that, but we got a look at the depth of Trump’s mastery of American history.
Trump has based his tariffs on “national security,” which is a totally vacuous claim, but that’s a subject for another post.
In the phone call, Trudeau asked how Trump could justify declaring Canada a national security threat. Trump’s response:
Didn’t you guys burn down the White House?
Actually, they didn’t, as any 5th grader used to know. That was the British, and that was in retaliation to our attack on York, Ontario. Back then, Canada was still a British colony.
I’d say Trump has been reading some of David Barton’s pseudo-histories, except “read” seems to be a profane word to him.
Last Sunday, [6/3/18] Trudeau appeared on Meet the Press and had something to say about the matter.
The idea that we are somehow a national security threat to the United States is, quite frankly, insulting and unacceptable.
Over on CNN, Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Chrystia Freeland had a question.
I would just say to all of Canada’s American friends — and there are so many — seriously? Do you really believe that Canada, that your NATO allies, represent a national security threat to you?
Even the Senate’s Bob Corker [R-TN] raised an objection.
There is no reason to use this provision to consider imposing tariffs on the automobile industry, and this appears to be either an attempt to affect domestic politics ahead of the election or for some other transactional purpose regarding ongoing trade discussions. This is a dangerous course and should be abandoned immediately.
While Corker is a Republican, he’s not running for reelection so he doesn’t have to kiss Trump’s rump. Plus, auto plants are a large part of Tennessee’s economy.
Under massive criticism, Trump pulled out his infamous “fairness” excuse. Again!
The United States must, at long last, be treated fairly on trade
Somehow, he never got around to providing any facts to back up his claim, but this is Trump, the “Original home of alternative facts!”
p.s.: If my ramblings don’t revolt you, check out my FaceBook page (“Grouchy’s Grumbles”) you might just enjoy it. Better yet, you might “like” it. I’d love it if you did. It’s free (and worth every cent) and almost completely painless (other than the usual bad jokes).
- Islamic & Christian Fundies: Two Coins of the Same Side - November 26, 2019
- Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Impeachment - November 14, 2019
- Louie Gohmert Goes All ‘Civil War’ Over Impeachment - November 1, 2019
- Walk On Holy Water In Your Jesus Shoes For Just 14,000 Shekels! - October 15, 2019
- This Week in God (As worshiped by Bronze Age troglodytes!) - October 6, 2019
- Non-Khristians Not Welcome In New State To Be Called ‘Liberty!’ - September 14, 2019
- Sarah ‘Caribou Barbie’ Palin Dumped By Hubby? - September 10, 2019
- The Second Amendment Ain’t What It Used To Be! (Part 1) - September 5, 2019
- Troglodyte: Khristians Need Militias For The Coming Civil War - September 4, 2019
- Sex, Drugs and Bank Fraud = Right Wing ‘Family Values? - August 31, 2019