The rationale was somewhat believable (if you’re Mormon) but a bit convoluted, so I won’t go into it now. Maybe some other time.
Obviously, I didn’t buy into that, since I married a Catholic girl. (Of course, my Mormon grandmother wouldn’t set foot in “Satan’s House” to attend the wedding.)
However, with the events of the last decade or so, I’ve had occasion to wonder if maybe the Mormons had a point about the Catholic Church.
Before I get into the headline’s question, a quick disclaimer: I am no longer Mormon (for about 58 years, now.) Mormons would probably call me a “Jack-Mormon” (or much worse) but I prefer “Fallen Angel.” 😉 Over the years, I’ve come to the conclusion that Mormonism is as full of shit as the rest of the mythologies masquerading as religions.
Now, I’m not knocking religious people who are trying to live a good life and make the world a better place. I have a number of friends that fit that category and more power to them. But, it seems for every one who fits that description, there are others who DON’T!
As far as organized religion, I tend to agree with Thomas Jefferson:
History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose. – Thomas Jefferson letter to Baron von Humboldt, (1813)
And James Madison, “The Father of the Constitution”:
During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution. – Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments (1785)
Still think this country was founded on religion? I covered that silliness a couple of years ago.
OK, the claimer has been dissed, so on to the subject.
Whoever the mental midget’s in the Catholic Church that thought up “priestly celibacy” were, they sure as hell didn’t think it through. That seems to be a major cause of the rampant pedophilia among Catholic priests.
I realize there are arguments against this, (Some, as you are about to see, border on the ridiculous.) however, for every one of those there are more that place part of the blame on this factor.
And, it isn’t just an American Catholic problem, it’s popped its ugly head up in almost every country with Catholic churches. Even in countries you wouldn’t expect, like India.
Unless you’ve been doing the “hermit routine” on Easter Island for the last couple of decades, you are probably aware of the scandal. For those of you who were, you can catch up here.
I won’t waste space regurgitating the specifics, other than of a brief mention of the lengths the church went to in order to cover up the crimes. If you want to know the “down and dirty,” check out that last link.
Instead of reporting the crimes to authorities, the offending priests were, in the vast majority of cases, simply shipped off to another church with a new group of potential targets. It seems that avoiding bad publicity and scandal was far more important than protecting Catholic children.
The Pennsylvania Pedophiles
In the latest chapter in the scandal, a grand jury investigation found over 1000 people who had been molested by over 300 Catholic priests in Pennsylvania. The crimes and the cover-ups ranged over seven decades. What’s worse is that the 1000 were just those they could identify. The real number could be thousands more.
As the report stated,
Priests were raping little boys and girls, and the men of God who were responsible for them not only did nothing; they hid it all. For decades!
Catholic Kooks To The Rescue (of the church, not the victims.)
As you probably know, there was blow-back. This time from that haven of “The church can do no wrong” (unless it’s by that “socialist” running the church nowadays.) the Catholic League.
- Other people sexually abuse people. (So if other people, do it, it must be ok?????)
- Most of it happened years ago. (In other words, “time makes it all right!”)
- Some of the victims were post-pubescent. (By definition, over 10, if they were female, 14 if they were male.)
- The church deserves credit for those priests who aren’t pedophiles. (I’m not even going to waste a snark on that pile of bovine bowel movement…..Oops, I just did.)
The Devil Made Them Do It!
Then there’s his topper, (More accurately “bottomer.”):
When we read that a cardinal asked young seminarians to sleep with him, thus corrupting them before they became ordained, and when we read that a few Pennsylvania priests used sacred objects like the crucifix to molest their victims, we cannot plausibly say that this is simply the work of men gone bad. No, it is the work of the devil. What other source would provoke such monstrosities?
So, are these the rantings of “true believers” that can’t conceive a fallible church? Or just a bunch of devil seduced dunces too brainwashed to understand basic morality?
Stay tuned! I have the feeling that his next excuse will be to blame the victims. (You just can’t trust 9-year-old girls and boys, with their sexy seductive ways.)
- 46 % Of Republicans Believe God Wanted Trump To Be President - February 19, 2019
- Tom Brady Is Sleeping With A Witch? Wait, WTF? - February 11, 2019
- Just How ‘Mobbed Up’ Is Trump? (Part 1) - February 10, 2019
- Trump Hates Illegal Immigrants, But Loves To Hire Them - February 8, 2019
- Tinfoil Toupeed Troglodyte: Witches attacked Guantanamo Bay - February 4, 2019
- Holy Hypocrites! Are Evangelicals The Biggest Porn Addicts? - January 22, 2019
- RWNJ: Syrian Suicide Murders ‘Coordinated’ by Defense Contractors - January 18, 2019
- The U.S. Is A ‘Christian Nation?’ Not According To The Founding Fathers! - January 17, 2019
- Trump: No CA FEMA Funding For Fires Unless Forests Raked - January 9, 2019
- Wingnut: Demonic CNN Hates Freedom, Consumed With Witchcraft - November 19, 2018