As the nation reflects on the 10th anniversary of the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks on the nation, Evangelical Christians are doing what they do best – whining that they aren’t the center of attention.
Never mind that 10 years ago, as the country was still numb from the attacks, two of America’s most well-heeled Jesus® hawkers, Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, didn’t miss the opportunity to blame the attacks, not on the religious fundamentalists who were the mirror image of themselves (if you subscribe to the official story, that is), but on the secular society our Founding Fathers left to us.
“For a decade, New York City has conducted the same ritualized ceremony on each anniversary of the attacks. The heart of the ritual has been the reading aloud of the names of the victims. In 2003, the victims’ children read the names; in 2004, it was their parents; and in 2007, the honor went to first responders.
The names are read in a continuous stream for hours, with four breaks to allow moments of silence at the times when hijacked planes struck the two World Trade Center towers, and when each tower fell.dse
This year, there will be six moments of silence, to acknowledge also the planes that hit the Pentagon and the ground near Shanksville, Pa., said Stu Loeser, Mr. Bloomberg’s press secretary.
“The structure for this program was designed 10 years ago, with the consultation of a lot of families of those who died, and it is primarily for the families,” Mr. Loeser said.
It is wrong to say the ceremony excludes prayer or clergy members, Mr. Loeser said. Chaplains for the Fire and Police Departments and the Port Authority police often attend, and “we think most people use those moments of silence for reflection and prayer,” he said.
Thankfully, Mayor Bloomberg is not caving to the religious fanatics whose agenda is to co-opt a solemn ceremony to proselytize about THEIR brand of organize myth in their continuous crusade to erase the dividing line between church and state.
A recent study found that besides not being the nonpartisan political neophytes Faux News makes them out to be, Teabaggers share a common desire to turn America into exactly into the kind of Theocratic nation our Founders fought a revolution to escape. An alarming fact, given the political pandering to the Teabaggers that seems to be epidemic in Washington. One need only look at how the Middle East, once the cradle of civilization, now stays permanently stuck in the dark ages as secular world sends human beings into space, to see modern examples illustrating the dangers of religion in politics,
Make no mistake, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and Osama Bin Ladin have a lot in common (take the Pat Robertson/Jerry Falwell/Osama Bin Laden quiz as proof)… and there isn’t a hare’s breath of difference between Islamic fundamentalists and Christian fundamentalists – and Heaven help us if they get a hold of our government (more than they already have, I should say.)
- White Nationalists Throw Hate “Business Cards” at Black Woman - November 6, 2018
- Supposed Persecuted Trump supporter Scams Cons Out of $150,000 - November 5, 2018
- In 3 A.M. Tweet, Trump Complains he’s the Real Victim of Mail Bombs - October 26, 2018
- Melania Trump Claims She’s ‘The Most Bullied Person in the World’ and the Internet Groans - October 11, 2018
- Right Wingers Help Completely False Kremlin-Made Propaganda Video Go Viral - October 9, 2018
- Historian: Mitch McConnell is the “Gravedigger of American Democracy” - October 5, 2018
- Donald Trump Tried To Trick His Elderly Father Into Changing His Will - October 4, 2018
- Survey: Trump Surpasses ‘Terrorism’ as Germans’ Greatest Fear - September 6, 2018
- Ron DeSantis Moderated Racist Facebook Group That Attacks Minorities, Parkland Survivors - August 30, 2018
- Architect: Betsy DeVos’ Ostentatious McMansion Sucks - August 8, 2018