For most of the summer, the far right has clutched its collective pearls over Facebook first putting Alex Jones in jail, then nuking him altogether for his longstanding history of hateful and incendiary posts. Well, earlier this week, another prominent right-winger, American Family Radio’s Bryan Fischer, had his wrists slapped hard by Facebook. And he isn’t the least bit happy about it.
Fischer, the longtime afternoon drive-time host on American Family Radio, was as alarmed as most of the rest of the nation on the night of August 10, when a Horizon Air ground crew worker stole a plane from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. He went on an hour-long joyride before crashing his plane on a nearby island and killing himself.
Nearly everyone believed that this should have never happened. But last Sunday, Fischer took to Facebook to propose a very extreme solution.
Might be a good idea to keep Muslims from serving on ground crews. Not that all of them would pull a stunt like this, but we don’t have any way of telling the difference between the ones who would and the ones who wouldn’t.
But wait a minute. The rogue crew member was a devout Christian; indeed, he was a leader in his church’s Young Life chapter.
Fischer had a ready answer for that, though. In his column for the American Family Association’s official blog, The Stand, Fischer argued that had the crew member been a Muslim, he might have been inclined to slam the plane into a skyscraper. He claims that there is no meaningful way to weed out closet jihadists, and the only solution is to bar Muslims from being anywhere near aircraft.
On Friday, Fischer tried to update his Facebook page for his radio show, “Focal Point”–only to discover that he wasn’t allowed to do so because “you shared something that isn’t allowed on Facebook.” He suspected that he’d been put in jail for 24 hours after falling afoul of Facebook’s ban on hate speech–which he believes amounts to “stuff we don’t like.”
Fischer continued to wail about being tossed in Facebook jail on the Friday edition of “Focal Point.” Watch here.
Fischer claimed that he was but the latest to be unjustly targeted by Facebook just because he’s a conservative who is speaking the truth.
Let’s suppose a prominent right-winger suggested that blacks ought to be banned from serving on ground crews, since there’s no meaningful way to tell the ones who would steal passengers blind from the ones who won’t. Or Latinos, or any other minority, for that matter. If anyone dared to make such a suggestion, there would be a big problem if the poster wasn’t tossed in jail. Now you see how outrageous Fischer’s statement was–and why whoever decided to put him in Facebook jail deserves a medal.
Let’s not beat around the bush. Fischer was calling for profiling of the worst type. It was wrong. It was Islamophobic. And it was un-American.
- GOP Congresswoman: It’s ‘Indisputable’ Trump Needed To Be Impeached - January 17, 2021
- ‘Prophetic’ Writer: God Allowed Attack On Capitol To Rebuke Democrats - January 14, 2021
- Trump Lawyer: You Can’t Have ‘Smooth Transition’ If Trump Is Pushed Out - January 10, 2021
- Fundies Want Proof Biden Won Even After Trump Tried To Steal Georgia - January 4, 2021
- Trumpkin Lawyer Thinks VP Pence ‘Will NEVER Certify A Lie’ - December 30, 2020
- Trumpkin Pastor: Accept Trump As God’s ‘Key Instrument,’ Or Shut Up - December 19, 2020
- Trumpian preachers: Evangelical Prophets or Evangelical Prevaricators? - December 17, 2020
- Matt Gaetz: Only A ‘Partisan Hack’ Accepts That Trump Lost - December 12, 2020
- Lawyer Slams Election Fraud–While Calling For ‘Kraken’ To Steal Biden’s Win - December 8, 2020
- Trumpkin Lawyer: Brian Kemp And Other ‘Devils’ Helped Biden Flip Georgia - December 2, 2020