Lately, Rudy Giuliani has acted in a way that would lead any casual observer to wonder if he has any decency. Last week, Donald Trump’s de facto lead attorney harrumphed that Stormy Daniels shouldn’t be given any credibility because she’s a porn star–a degrading line tacitly endorsed by Trump. Well, Rudy was at it again on Saturday. He claimed that those handling the investigation into Russia’s effort to hack the election belong in New York’s psych ward.
Giuliani made a trip to Staten Island on Saturday to campaign for Congressman Dan Donovan, the only Republican representing a significant portion of New York City. For Giuliani, it marked a return to the borough that put him in the mayor’s office in 1993. He won the first of two terms as mayor in 1993 by swamping incumbent David Dinkins on the Island by over 93,000 votes–far more than his citywide margin of 53,000 votes.
This wasn’t just a one-off; Staten Island is by far the most conservative borough in New York City, and the only part of the city where Republicans compete on anywhere near an even footing with Democrats. Trump is very popular here. The Donald carried Staten Island with over 56 percent of the vote–the only area of the city where he won more than 25 percent of the vote.
But even allowing for these factors, Giuliani took an outrageous line. He suggested that the FBI agents and prosecutors taking part in Robert Mueller’s investigation may not be sane. No, this isn’t snark–NY1 got a clip.
Giuliani claimed the investigation was being handled by “disturbed human beings” who were probably crying their eyes out on Election Night 2016. It led him to question whether they had the mental capacity to be among us.
“I think if I can get those pictures of them crying, instead of investigating President Trump, they should go to Bellevue! Wackadoodles!”
Anyone from New York watching this was well aware of what Giuliani is saying. Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan is home to the city’s psych ward. Giuliani was effectively calling for the FBI agents and prosecutors in on the case to be committed. And yet, the people on hand applauded and cheered. Donovan himself just stood there.
Whatever you may think about the Russia probe, questioning the sanity of the investigators is several miles over the line. Can you imagine what would have happened if one of Bill Clinton’s defenders had called for Ken Starr and those taking part in the Whitewater investigation to be committed? Or if one of Hillary Clinton’s defenders had suggested that those investigating her emails be committed? Either scenario would have been despicable–just like what Rudy said on Saturday was despicable.
Regardless of whether Giuliani was speaking for himself or not, he is–at least on paper–representing the president of the United States. If Trump has anything at all left in him, he will apologize to the FBI and fire Rudy–now. Any president, regardless of party, with even an iota of decency would do no less.
- Arizona Wingnut Wants Women To Do Hard Time For Abortion - January 27, 2021
- Congresswoman Wails About Pronouns, But Is Okay With Lying About Election - January 23, 2021
- GOP Congresswoman: It’s ‘Indisputable’ Trump Needed To Be Impeached - January 17, 2021
- ‘Prophetic’ Writer: God Allowed Attack On Capitol To Rebuke Democrats - January 14, 2021
- Trump Lawyer: You Can’t Have ‘Smooth Transition’ If Trump Is Pushed Out - January 10, 2021
- Fundies Want Proof Biden Won Even After Trump Tried To Steal Georgia - January 4, 2021
- Trumpkin Lawyer Thinks VP Pence ‘Will NEVER Certify A Lie’ - December 30, 2020
- Trumpkin Pastor: Accept Trump As God’s ‘Key Instrument,’ Or Shut Up - December 19, 2020
- Trumpian preachers: Evangelical Prophets or Evangelical Prevaricators? - December 17, 2020
- Matt Gaetz: Only A ‘Partisan Hack’ Accepts That Trump Lost - December 12, 2020