It’s been amply established that Donald Trump is manifestly unfit to clean the White House, let alone serve in it. He proves that on a near-daily basis. When he’s not firing off tweets that would get a typical teenager in very hot water, he’s acting like a boor and a buffoon on the international stage. But that doesn’t matter to one of Trump’s youngest fans. No, no–all that matters is that he’s making America great again.
CJ Pearson of Evans, Georgia–a suburb of Augusta–is not your typical black teenager. He is an open and unashamed conservative Republican, and an equally unashamed Trump supporter. He first gained attention in 2015, when he loudly questioned whether President Obama really loved America. Watch here.
However, as time went on, he seemed to be changing his perspective. After briefly supporting Rand Paul and Ted Cruz in the Republican primary, he briefly flirted with Bernie Sanders. He actually went as far as to say that the thought of Trump in the White House “scares the crap out of me.” By the summer of 2016, however, Pearson had changed his tune, and went all-in for Trump, serving as national chairman of “Teens for Trump.”
As I write this on Wednesday night, Trump has been in office for 537 days. By any objective standard, he has embarrassed himself, his office and the nation at least 537 times–and that’s probably an extremely conservative estimate. But Trump’s base doesn’t seem to mind. A recent Gallup poll found a whopping 87 percent of Republicans approve of Trump’s performance. In contrast, Trump has struggled to get his overall approval ratings out of the low 40s even on his best days.
How is such a disconnect possible? Well, this tweet from Pearson may explain it.
As one black man to another, CJ, I have to ask–even if Trump “shows RESULTS,” are they really worth it? Are they really worth having a president who finds it acceptable to either tweet or retweet violent and hateful memes, or fire off degrading tweets about women?
I’m pretty sure that if you created and tweeted a meme showing one of your enemies being knocked down with a tee shot or reduced to a bloody splatter on your shoe, as Trump has done, your grandparents would take a sledgehammer to your phone. Ditto if you tweeted sexually degrading comments about a woman. You wouldn’t be able to get away with such behavior. Why should Trump get a pass just because he’s “WINNING”?
If there is one thing that proves the “WINNING” isn’t worth it, it came over the Fourth of July weekend when Trump named Bill Shine, Roger Ailes’ former right-hand man at Fox News, as his communications director. Less than a year after being named co-president of Fox News, Shine was pushed out amid credible accusations that he was well aware of sexual harassment by Ailes and others and either ignored it or actively covered it up. With this hire, Trump effectively said that covering up this behavior doesn’t matter.
Think about yourself and your friends at Evans High School, CJ. And consider that Trump thought this was a good idea even though he has a teenage son, Barron, who is only four years younger than you. Is this the kind of example you would want set for them, especially for any teenager thinking of taking up politics?
If Pearson were to take off his red-tinted blinders, he would see that even if we are “WINNING,” this nation is losing a lot–as in its soul.
- Former Whitewater Counsel SLAMS Ken Starr For Joining Team Trump - January 20, 2020
- Trumpkin False Prophets Try Their Hand At Prophecy Again - January 16, 2020
- Fundies Say We Shouldn’t Be Offended At Spiritual Warfare For Trump - January 14, 2020
- Even If Mark Esper Had Intel, Soleimani Strike May Not Have Been Justified - January 12, 2020
- Fake Prophetess: With GOP, God Will Inhabit White House For A Long Time - January 12, 2020
- Christian Publisher Wants Us To Believe Trump Is ‘Genuinely Nice Man’ - January 10, 2020
- Wingnut Pastor: Impeachment Driven By Forces Of ‘Darkness’ - January 7, 2020
- Former US Attorney: Officials Must Not Obey Unlawful Trump Orders - January 6, 2020
- Florida Man Led Third World Stunt, Now Worried About Dems’ ‘Venezuela Wing’ - January 3, 2020
- Vulnerable Dem Backs Impeachment, Says Repubs Weren’t Willing To Reason - December 16, 2019