Republicans “love” the troops… they make such wonderful backdrops for their campaign photo-ops and useful tools when transnational corporations need something that happens to belong to another sovereign nation. But Republicans don’t have much use for service members who return from the corporate wars Republicans cheer – especially if they need the nation to express its gratitude in ways other than a Chinese-made crap sale on Veterans’ Day.
The latest Republican knife in the back of our service members came when forty Senate Republicans stuck to their mission of obstructing economic recovery for political gain and blocked the Veterans Jobs Corps Act of 2012, which “would have increased hiring and job training for veterans over the next five years, with a focus on jobs restoring and protecting our public lands.” *
Based on Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps, the Veteran’s Jobs Corp would have put unemployed vets back to work “preserving and restoring federal, state and local lands and find them jobs in firefighting and police work.” * But, treasonous, obstructing, Republicans proved again that it’s more important to deny President Obama the victory of bringing to fruition a vital job’s program than actually offering relief to the struggling nation Republican policies destroyed in the first place.
WATCH: Rachel Maddow Explain Treasonous Republican Obstruction to the Veterans’ Jobs Act 2012
Republicans Lie to Cover Their Obstruction
“Republican Sen. Tom Coburn claimed that there is no evidence that jobs for vets will work, “What we have is a bill that’s brought to the floor that has good intentions behind but shows the absolute laziness of congress in terms of really digging things out. issued their duplication report on the job training programs for veterans, four of them do exactly the same thing. None of them have a metric. So we don’t know if they’re working, and we haven’t held a hearing to find out if they’re working. But what are we doing?”
It doesn’t matter to most Senate Republicans that the CCC put 2.5 million people to work. When confronted with an actual jobs program for America’s vets, including the 220,000 who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, the majority of Republicans claimed the plan, which was already offset, was too expensive.
Let’s remember this latest example of obstruction whenever Republicans dare tell you how much they “Support the Troops.” The more Americans wake up to the fact that Republicans have done everything in their power undermine the President their fellow citizens legally-elected to undo the damage of trickle-down Reagan/Bush-onomics, the better chance we have of relegating Republicans to permanent minority status – as they were during the years of American History known as “The Great Prosperity.”
Here are the 40 Republicans thanked America’s veterans by denying them jobs:
Mark Kirk and James Inhofe didn’t vote.
- White Nationalists Throw Hate “Business Cards” at Black Woman - November 6, 2018
- Supposed Persecuted Trump supporter Scams Cons Out of $150,000 - November 5, 2018
- In 3 A.M. Tweet, Trump Complains he’s the Real Victim of Mail Bombs - October 26, 2018
- Melania Trump Claims She’s ‘The Most Bullied Person in the World’ and the Internet Groans - October 11, 2018
- Right Wingers Help Completely False Kremlin-Made Propaganda Video Go Viral - October 9, 2018
- Historian: Mitch McConnell is the “Gravedigger of American Democracy” - October 5, 2018
- Donald Trump Tried To Trick His Elderly Father Into Changing His Will - October 4, 2018
- Survey: Trump Surpasses ‘Terrorism’ as Germans’ Greatest Fear - September 6, 2018
- Ron DeSantis Moderated Racist Facebook Group That Attacks Minorities, Parkland Survivors - August 30, 2018
- Architect: Betsy DeVos’ Ostentatious McMansion Sucks - August 8, 2018