As Trump enters his second year in office with a government shutdown despite Republican majorities in Congress, Pulitzer prize winner, author, and presidential historian Jon Meacham asserts its all due to a “vacuum in Presidential Leadership.”
Meacham discussed this with MSNBC’s Brian Williams as the clock struck midnight and the government shutdown went into effect.
It’s clear that Trump would rather play golf than do his job. Couple that with Republican hatred of government, and the people of the United States are the ones who suffer. Of course.
Meacham observed, “It occurred to me this is what government would look like without a president. This is what a parliamentary system might look like – and that might be harsh on parliamentary systems… You know, here we are in year two, almost to the hour… and there’s this curious absence of presidential leadership, in terms of bringing a couple of very fundamental issues to the country to a head- to a decision – and, I think this is a video feed, in a way, of a kind of Vacuum of leadership.
My one learned reference for you at this hour is…I was thinking all day of Walter Badgett, who was the founder of “The Economist,” who wrote a wonderful book in the Victorian Era called “The English Constitution.” He defined two functions of government… popular government…
There’s a ‘dignified’ element, which is the monarchy in Britain, but the presidency in the United States when we have it, and the ‘efficient’ which is in England, of course, is the Parliament and the government itself.
One of our strengths has always been that we’ve combined the two. I think heading into year too if you look at ‘dignified’ and ‘efficient’ as two categories of leadership I think we’re ‘0’ for ‘2.’”
- White Nationalists Throw Hate “Business Cards” at Black Woman - November 6, 2018
- Supposed Persecuted Trump supporter Scams Cons Out of $150,000 - November 5, 2018
- In 3 A.M. Tweet, Trump Complains he’s the Real Victim of Mail Bombs - October 26, 2018
- Melania Trump Claims She’s ‘The Most Bullied Person in the World’ and the Internet Groans - October 11, 2018
- Right Wingers Help Completely False Kremlin-Made Propaganda Video Go Viral - October 9, 2018
- Historian: Mitch McConnell is the “Gravedigger of American Democracy” - October 5, 2018
- Donald Trump Tried To Trick His Elderly Father Into Changing His Will - October 4, 2018
- Survey: Trump Surpasses ‘Terrorism’ as Germans’ Greatest Fear - September 6, 2018
- Ron DeSantis Moderated Racist Facebook Group That Attacks Minorities, Parkland Survivors - August 30, 2018
- Architect: Betsy DeVos’ Ostentatious McMansion Sucks - August 8, 2018