There’s a widely shared fantasy among “Khristians” (as opposed to “Christians,” which they ain’t) that Big Daddy set up ‘Murica for “Real ‘Muricans,” also known as W.A.S.P.s [White Anglo-Saxon Protestants]. Therefore only they deserve the good stuff. If they have to share it with those “other people,” they whine about being persecuted.
One of the things they aren’t big on sharing is found in the 1st Amendment. No, not the part of the amendment that deals with the free press. (That, they ain’t too fond of. After all, the free press just spews “Fake News.”) Nor the section that deals with separation of church and state.” (They hate that part!)
The part they cherry pick is the bit about “freedom of religion.” To their way of thinking(?) since they are Big Daddy’s “chosen,” (Just ask ’em, they’ll tell ya.) that religious freedom extends only to them.
After all, B.D. don’t care if you’re Southern Baptist or Assembly of God, as long as you ain’t one of them Jews, (who used to be the “chosen,” but they screwed up) Muslims, or Wiccans, etc.
Which brings us to the latest bovine bowel movement on the subject, and it involves Wiccans. Or, at least one Wiccan. A prisoner in North Carolina is suing to be granted the right to practice her religion while incarcerated.
Now, whether you or I consider Wicca a religion, there are people who do. And, “true believers” to the contrary, it has the same amount of validity, or lack thereof, of any other “religion.” After all, to any extremely religious person, his/hers is the only “true” religion and all the rest are mythologies.
Enter: Bryan Fischer!
Yesterday [5/1/18] on his program, Bryan inserted his (not worth) two cents on the matter:
The blunt, simple, direct, straightforward answer is that Wiccans do not have First Amendment rights, nor do Muslims, nor do Jews, nor do Native Americans, nor do Rastafarians, nor do any practitioners of any other religion other than Christianity.
Whatever the First Amendment is about, whatever protections it extends in the federal Constitution, those were just for Christianity. Christianity has First Amendment rights under the federal Constitution, no other religion does.
A few years ago, I did a post on this supposedly being a “Christian” country, as part of a larger series on the history of American religious movements. As part of that post I quoted a few things the “Founding Fathers” had to say about religion in general and Christianity in particular. Since this post mostly concerns part of the 1st Amendment, I’ll leave you with a couple of those thoughts from James Madison, the man who actually wrote the amendment:
During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution.Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments (1785)
Strongly guarded as is the separation between Religion & Govt in the Constitution of the United States the danger of encroachment by Ecclesiastical Bodies, may be illustrated by precedents already furnished in their short history [attempts where religious bodies had already tried to encroach on the government]. James Madison, Detached Memoranda, (1820)
p.s.: If my ramblings don’t revolt you, check out my FaceBook page (“Grouchy’s Grumbles”) you might just enjoy it. Better yet, you might “like” it. I’d love it if you did. It’s free (and worth every cent) and almost completely painless (other than the usual bad jokes).
- White House press secretary tests positive for coronavirus - October 5, 2020
- Biden: ‘Weak’ Trump has fomented violence in US cities - August 31, 2020
- Trump Praises Turkish President Erdoğan In Front Of Freed Hostage Andrew Brunson During RNC Segment - August 26, 2020
- Nancy Pelosi Calls COVID-19 ‘Trump Virus’ – Instead Of President’s Favored ‘Chinese Virus’ - July 25, 2020
- Micheal Cohen Lawyers File Petition For His Release From Prison, Claiming Retaliation For Book About Trump - July 22, 2020
- Trump Accuses Biden Of Trying To ‘Abolish Suburbs’ In Odd Rose Garden Press Conference - July 17, 2020
- Trump Fires Campaign Manager Brad Parscale, Replaces Him With Bill Stepien Amid Poor Polling - July 16, 2020
- Trump move to free ally Stone is ‘historic corruption’: Republican senator - July 11, 2020
- Trump Far Right Rally Gets pranked by Borat Creator - June 30, 2020
- Trump faces outrage after report reveals Russia offered Afghan militants ‘rewards to kill Americans’ - June 27, 2020