Earlier this month, Oliver North was named president of the National Rifle Association. It didn’t take North long to display the same lack of judgment that led him to do an end run around a congressional ban on aiding the Contras. On Wednesday, he claimed that the survivors of a horrific mass shooting at a Florida high school were engaging in acts of terrorism by carrying the fight for gun control to the NRA.
In an interview with The Washington Times that ran in Friday’s edition, North claimed the kids at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida weren’t really heroes. Far from it.
“They call them activists. That’s what they’re calling themselves. They’re not activists — this is civil terrorism. This is the kind of thing that’s never been seen against a civil rights organization in America. You go back to the terrible days of Jim Crow and those kinds of things — even there you didn’t have this kind of thing. We didn’t have the cyberwar kind of thing that we’ve got today.”
North claimed that the Parkland kids are no different from terrorists when they call the NRA out on social media, “use the media against us,” and pressure banks, donors and others into rethinking their relationship with them.
Gee, Oliver–or is it Ollie? We all thought these kids were just exercising their First Amendment right to call out an organization that has the power to strike fear in the hearts of state and federal legislators with just one phone call. Said organization has used said power to derail every attempt to reform our gun laws since Sandy Hook, despite widespread and bipartisan support.
Then again, it’s possible that North hasn’t been paying attention over the winter and spring. Just days after the shooting, Cameron Kasky painted Senator Marco Rubio–who lives in nearby Miami–into a corner at a town hall in Sunrise. Watch here.
When it became apparent that Rubio didn’t have the guts to tell the NRA to go pound sand, Kasky unloaded on him.
“In the name of the 17 people who died, you can’t ask the NRA to keep their money?”
At that same meeting, Emma Gonzalez faced down the NRA’s national spokeswoman, Dana Loesch. Watch here.
Gonzalez asked Loesch a simple question–did she support banning automatic and semi-automatic weapons? Loesch responded with seemed to be pre-written talking points. All she succeeded in doing was proving that she is a liar and dissembler.
The NRA apparently didn’t learn its lesson. On the same day as the shooting, Loesch delivered an ominous warning to the NRA’s foes, as well as the mainstream media–they’re living on borrowed time.
When the NRA gave the video a second run ahead of the Oscars, Sarah Chadwick clapped back with a video of her own.
So it should come as no surprise that when they got wind that North was throwing down the gauntlet, these kids didn’t shy away. Take Kasky, for instance.
Kasky was following behind David Hogg, who used the hashtag “#OnTheContra” to clap back against the NRA’s agitprop and remind his audience of North’s shady history.
You really want to take on this fight, Oliver? Apparently you weren’t watching when Laura Ingraham was all but forced to apologize for making fun of Hogg getting rejected by multiple colleges. Or when Jamie Allman was run off the air for threatening to sodomize Hogg with a poker.
Given past history, North is about to become the latest right-winger to take on the Parkland kids and lose–badly.
- Princess Of Lies Sanders: Defending Trump Is My Job (VIDEOS) - August 19, 2018
- RWNJ Radio Host: Waaaahhh, Facebook Put Me In Jail For Islamophobia (VIDEO) - August 18, 2018
- Pro-Trump Pastor: Omarosa Isn’t Just A Dog, She’s ‘Satan’s Daughter’ (VIDEOS) - August 17, 2018
- Pat Robertson To Sexual Assault Victim’s Mom: ‘Get Over It!’ (VIDEO) - August 16, 2018
- Far-Right Blogger Thinks ‘You’re A Communist’ If You Respect Women (TWEET) - August 15, 2018
- Pizzagaters, QAnoners Silent When Bannon Meets With Actual Perv (TWEETS/AUDIO) - August 13, 2018
- Former Intel Agent: Trump Has A Bigger Worry Than Mueller Or Cohen (TWEET) - August 12, 2018
- Wingnut Radio Host: Robert Mueller Is A Threat To America (AUDIO/VIDEO) - August 11, 2018
- Putin Puppet Station To Trump: ‘Do What We Say’ If You Want Help In November (TWEETS) - August 10, 2018
- Right-Wing Pastor: People Who Smear Liberals Are ‘Good Guys’ (TWEETS) - August 10, 2018