While a nation grieves and reels from yet another senseless gun massacre made possible by decades of greed-centered right-wing policy that turned the United States into a blood-soaked madhouse, House Republicans did the bidding of their rapacious paymasters and rolled back long fought, hard won protections for people with disabilities.
Newsweek reports, “In a 225-192 vote Thursday, most House Republicans and a dozen Democrats passed a bill that makes it harder for disabled persons to sue for discrimination, in an effort to prevent opportunistic attorneys from taking advantage of business owners.
But many disability and civil rights groups fear the bill will weaken incentives for businesses to comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which mandates equal access to public accommodations.
Proponents argue that the bill, the ADA Education and Reform Act, or H.R. 620, is necessary to stem the flow of “drive-by lawsuits” brought by lawyers who only wish to line their pockets. The bill would require those filing suit in federal court against businesses for not complying with the ADA to first give that business 60 days to devise a plan to fix the problem. They then have another 120 days to implement the changes.”
BREAKING: The House just passed #HR620, the ADA Education and Reform Act, which limits the power of the Americans with Disabilities Act and turns back the clock on disability rights in America. This is deeply shameful. pic.twitter.com/gJnsPI0pin
— The Leadership Conference (@civilrightsorg) February 15, 2018
So, here’s another example of Republican Party mission is to pamper the powerful while kicking down on anyone who gets in their way – especially people with challenges.
The ACLU responded, “This scheme removes the business’s incentive to proactively ensure that it is accessible to people with disabilities,” it said. “Instead, businesses will simply wait until someone’s right to access is violated and notification is received before making the change they were already obligated to make.”
#HR620 will not only decimate the protections that people with disabilities rely on, it will send an unmistakable message that we should be treated as second class citizens. Watch my @HouseFloor remarks urging Congress to keep their #HandsOffMyADA: https://t.co/GVr5OYNIxQ
— Jim Langevin (@JimLangevin) February 15, 2018
The proper role of government is to protect the vulnerable, but in the Republican worldview, greed is the only American value worthy of consideration.
Normal Americans know that leaving no one behind is a sign of strength as is purposefully creating a society that literally and figuratively is accessible and is considerate of all its citizens regardless of ability.
For all their crocodile tears and empty promises, its clear that if this country has a hope of being “great,” the party that has a pathological liar con man as its standard-bearer needs to be voted out of office and relegated to permanent minority status.
- White Nationalists Throw Hate “Business Cards” at Black Woman - November 6, 2018
- Supposed Persecuted Trump supporter Scams Cons Out of $150,000 - November 5, 2018
- In 3 A.M. Tweet, Trump Complains he’s the Real Victim of Mail Bombs - October 26, 2018
- Melania Trump Claims She’s ‘The Most Bullied Person in the World’ and the Internet Groans - October 11, 2018
- Right Wingers Help Completely False Kremlin-Made Propaganda Video Go Viral - October 9, 2018
- Historian: Mitch McConnell is the “Gravedigger of American Democracy” - October 5, 2018
- Donald Trump Tried To Trick His Elderly Father Into Changing His Will - October 4, 2018
- Survey: Trump Surpasses ‘Terrorism’ as Germans’ Greatest Fear - September 6, 2018
- Ron DeSantis Moderated Racist Facebook Group That Attacks Minorities, Parkland Survivors - August 30, 2018
- Architect: Betsy DeVos’ Ostentatious McMansion Sucks - August 8, 2018