We all have our own perception of what terrorism is. Whether those perceptions are totally accurate or not is debatable.
ISIS is a terrorist organization. I think we all agree on that.
However, the FBI defines terrorism two ways:
- International terrorism: Perpetrated by individuals and/or groups inspired by or associated with designated foreign terrorist organizations or nations (state-sponsored).
- Domestic terrorism: Perpetrated by individuals and/or groups inspired by or associated with primarily U.S.-based movements that espouse extremist ideologies of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature.
Therefore, it’s pretty obvious ISIS is an international terrorist organization.
Charlottesville, VA Unite the Right Rally. What’s their mission? Are they domestic terrorists? It’s harder to tell, isn’t it? Maybe they’re patriots. The lines are a bit more blurry, aren’t they?
There’s another kind of terrorism though, and I’d wager a lot of folks aren’t aware of it.
This kind of terrorism is more subtle.
It’s open to interpretation.
It doesn’t have legal standing as a form of terrorism…yet.
It’s called stochastic terrorism.
- Stochastic Terrorism: The use of mass communication to incite random actors to carry out violent or terrorist acts that are statistically predictable but individually unpredictable.
Enter the sitting President of the United States of America.
The NRA allegedly contributed over $11 million to the President’s campaign in 2016…connecting the dots and following the money.
Most folks are familiar with the current President’s inflammatory campaign rhetoric.
In one campaign rally, he went so far as to suggest that Second Amendment people could do something about Hillary Clinton being allowed to pick Supreme Court judges if she got elected President. Whether that thinly veiled incitement to violence was a joke or not is very much open to interpretation.
There have been other instances of the President arguably inciting violence in his supporters.
Calling the press “enemies of the people” ring a bell?
That’s stochastic terrorism on steroids given that it’s coming from the most powerful person on Earth!
Whether the President’s rhetoric played a role in the massacre at the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, MD is not clear. The stark reality is it could have.
What’s that you say? This is just ‘The Nuge’ being ‘The Nuge’?
You say he’s the ‘Motor City Madman’, and he’s just goofing around?
You say ‘The Nuge’ ain’t no stochastic terrorist?
You say this can’t be?
It can be, and he is a stochastic terrorist as far as I’m concerned.
His rhetoric got him a visit from the Secret Service in April, 2012:
If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year.
It was a joke, right?
No – it was, in fact, stochastic terrorism.
Because stochastic terrorism isn’t against the law yet, ‘The Nuge’ wasn’t arrested…this time.
For more vitriolic comments from ‘The Nuge’ click here. This guy is a piece of work, for sure!
Now, enter the NRA, NRATV, and Dana Loesch.
Dana Loesch is a rising ‘star’ on NRATV.
She might also eclipse ‘The Nuge’ in the stridency of his rhetoric in the past as an NRA spokesperson (for anyone not aware, ‘The Nuge’ is on the NRA Board of Directors).
Ms. Loesch singled out the venerable New York Times in one of her videos and said, “We’re coming for you”.
If that statement doesn’t give you pause, then you haven’t been paying attention.
Could it be she was responding to an OpEd in the New York Times titled The N.R.A.’s Complicity in Terrorism?
Now have a listen to this video of Loesch spewing more of her vitriol:
“Happy to see them curb stomped”.
That’s what she said in reference to media.
NRATV has ‘TV’ in its name.
TV is media, right?
NRATV engages in political often-times zealous pro-gun advocacy in their ‘news’ media programming.
The mea culpa and horror of horrors is Ms. Loesch is, therefore – GASP – media.
Does she not realize she’s calling for herself to get ‘curb stomped’?
Oh, the irony! It’s almost too much!
NRATV engages in stochastic terrorism.
NRATV is a subsidiary of the NRA.
NRA, Thy Name is Terrorism – With Apologies to William Shakespeare!
My two cents.
- My Two Cents: Defining ‘New Normal’ - September 25, 2018
- My Two Cents: A Dilemma – Armed Teachers and Use of Lethal Force - September 17, 2018
- My Two Cents: Of Hoax and Conspiracy Theories - September 8, 2018
- My Two Cents: Rick….I Salute You - September 5, 2018
- My Two Cents: Grizzly DeVos About Face on Guns in Schools - August 23, 2018
- My Two Cents: Compassion – A Double Edged Sword - August 21, 2018
- My Two Cents: GUNS SAVE LIVES? - August 9, 2018
- My Two Cents: Good Guy with a Gun stops Good Guy with a Gun - August 3, 2018
- My Two Cents: Lockdown Drills on Steroids (VIDEOS) - July 25, 2018
- My Two Cents: ‘Unfettered’ Second Amendment Coming Your Way Soon - July 15, 2018