In what can only be described as a horrific nightmare scenario an armed resident, a “good guy,” was shot and killed by a policeman, another “good guy,” while defending his family during a home invasion.
According to the article:
- Law enforcement “arrived to a very chaotic and violent scene” and heard gunshots inside the home.
- The officers later encountered an armed man, according to the news release.
- One officer fired his weapon, hitting him (armed resident).
- It wasn’t until later that investigators discovered the man lived inside the home.
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out police thought the armed resident was the intruder – the bad guy with a gun. As it turns out, the person the cops thought was a bad guy with a gun was actually a good guy with a gun.
In an update to this tragedy, the family’s attorney asserts Aurora police should not have shot the man defending his family.
There’s been no official statement from anyone whether the home invader was armed or not. He was naked…that much is known. But it appears, from these two stories, that he may not have been armed.
So the good guy with a gun shot a naked bad guy who may or may not have been armed only to be shot and killed by another good guy with a gun in the chaos and violence of the home invasion.
The investigation is ongoing.
Besides the obvious heartbreak in this story, there’s something that’s missing, though.
Why hasn’t the NRA said something about this?
Oh, wait….that doesn’t fit their good guy with a gun stopping a bad guy with a gun narrative.
Where am I going with this?
Well, law enforcement will always arrive on scene with a heightened sense of danger to themselves and to others in chaotic and violent situations as was the case in Aurora, CO.
Add gunfire into the mix and sh*t gets real very fast.
Now, take the kind of chaos and violence police encountered in that home in Aurora and multiply it in orders of magnitude many times over in a mass shooting.
Taking that into consideration, can anyone state with any degree of conviction it’s a good thing to buy into the NRA mantra to have guns everywhere?
If the video that follows doesn’t leave your heart beating a little faster and your anxiety a little elevated, I don’t know what will.
I chose this specific video to share because of the relentless NRA pressure for more guns everywhere:
Law enforcement will respond with lethal force if they believe there’s a danger to themselves or to others. That’s a statement of fact.
In the video, a school shooting simulation, when police saw someone with a gun, they opened fire.
There was no hesitation.
They didn’t stop to ask if the person with a gun was a good guy with a gun.
They didn’t stop to ask any questions at all.
Their primary mission was to eliminate or terminate the bad guy with a gun.
Chaos…violence…confusion…high anxiety…adrenaline rush…all part of police response where good guys with guns are supposed to stop bad guys with guns.
But, will responding police officers be able to make split second life and death decisions the right way every…single…time?
Seriously, how are they supposed to know if an armed civilian is a good guy or a bad guy with a gun?
That’s tragically what appears to have happened the morning of July 30, 2018 in Aurora, CO. Police simply did not know, and the officer who fired the fatal shot now has to live with his mistake for the rest of his life. That mistake may even end his career in law enforcement.
There are no winners here.
So, guns everywhere?
- Movie theaters?
Need I go on?
It is quite simply not as simple as a good guy with a gun stopping a bad guy with a gun, even in a home, regardless of what NRA talking heads would have you believe.
My two cents.
- My Two Cents: GUNS SAVE LIVES? - August 9, 2018
- My Two Cents: Good Guy with a Gun stops Good Guy with a Gun - August 3, 2018
- My Two Cents: Lockdown Drills on Steroids (VIDEOS) - July 25, 2018
- My Two Cents: ‘Unfettered’ Second Amendment Coming Your Way Soon - July 15, 2018
- My Two Cents: Trump’s ‘Rule of Law’ Hypocrisy (VIDEO) - July 12, 2018
- My Two Cents: Stop Saying Lives are ‘Lost’ to Gun Violence! - July 10, 2018
- My Two Cents: EMTs – Humble Heroes - July 7, 2018
- My Two Cents: NRA, Thy Name is Terrorism! - July 2, 2018
- My Two Cents: Justice Kennedy’s Guns ‘Legacy’ - June 28, 2018
- My Two Cents: Trump To Native Americans: Get A JOB!!! - June 25, 2018