Let’s be honest, bullying has been around forever. That doesn’t excuse it. Nor is it meant to condone it.
Bullying of perps who commit mass shootings is oftentimes cited as an underlying cause of why they do what they do.
Soon after the massacre at Columbine High School April 20, 1999, rumors began circulating that the two perps who carried out this atrocity had been the victims of bullying at the school.
Turn that notion on its head, though, and the simple truth is they – the two perps of Columbine – were bullies in the most extreme sense of the word as soon as they set their insane plan in motion.
Bullies gonna bully in retaliation….for being bullied?
These two bullied an entire school.
They bullied an entire community.
They bullied those they murdered.
They bullied the families of those they murdered.
They bullied those they injured.
They bullied the families of those they injured.
They bullied their own parents.
They bullied their own siblings.
In reality, I suppose it could be said they bullied an entire nation.
I’ve repeatedly been asked the following questions since Columbine:
- Do you hate them – the perps, that is? I didn’t know them, so how could I realistically hate them?
- Do you hate what they did? That pretty much goes without saying.
- Do you blame the parents? My answer has always been, and always will be, no I do not!
- Do you absolve them from guilt? My response is what guilt?
- Could they have been more aware of what was going on? Of course they could have. Couldn’t we all?
- Could they have done more to get help for their kids? Of course they could have. Couldn’t we all?
Some folks continue to harbor ill will toward the families of the two perps of Columbine even this many years later….bullies gonna bully.
I guess the bottom line for me is that bullying takes on many different forms – some more diabolical and pervasive than others. It’s when someone uses bullying as an excuse to justify striking out at others that it takes on an entirely new and sinister meaning. Some might even label it as being sadistic, especially where mass shootings are concerned.
Some hoplophiliacs will tell anyone willing to listen that in their youth they settled their disagreements with others by taking those disagreements outside and duking it out man-to-man with fisticuffs.
Will that somehow eliminate bullying if we were to revert back to those methods? Is it possible that’s why hoplophiliacs are pushing so hard for their guns everywhere agenda – so they can ‘settle’ things man-to-man only this time with guns – sort of a High Noon gunfight on Main Street type of thing?
Sorry, I just had to throw that in there.
Regardless of whether the perps of Columbine were bullied before they committed their mayhem or not, the fact is they were bullies themselves – the worst kind possible.
Please watch this video before making any personal judgments on what I say that follows after:
It takes major courage for Sue Klebold, a parent of one of the two perps of Columbine, to speak up the way she has. She’s earned my respect by doing so.
Sue Klebold is trying to use her own personal experiences, both pre and post Columbine, to affect positive change in how we as a society address not only bullying but also mental health in general.
Sadly, some folks apparently do not want Sue Klebold to have a platform to speak:
This Tweet was in response to the interview 20/20 had with Sue….bullies gonna bully – only this time the bully is the Office of the Colorado State Attorney General.
I say we need to listen to what she has to say and not bully her into silence!
Every time I hear Sue Klebold speak, I’m reminded of what her son did. That will never change.
Every time I listen to her message, though, she helps remind me of just how far I’ve come in my own healing journey. That journey continues.
Thank you, Sue Klebold. Keep speaking your truth.
My two cents.
- My Two Cents: School Safety….’Quick Fix’ Style - September 26, 2019
- My Two Cents: School Safety – DAMMIT! It’s Not Rocket Science….. - January 28, 2019
- My Two Cents: Kovington Kids Kalamity Double Standard…. - January 26, 2019
- My Two Cents: Weighing in on the ‘Covington Kids Calamity’ - January 22, 2019
- My Two Cents: The Illogical Logic of the NRA - January 11, 2019
- My Two Cents: School Safety Is An Enigma - January 3, 2019
- My Two Cents: ‘To Protect and To Serve’ vs the ‘Public-Duty Doctrine’ - December 22, 2018
- My Two Cents: Quiet Rooms - December 15, 2018
- My Two Cents: Stay in Your Lane Road Rage NRA Style - November 26, 2018
- My Two Cents: School Safety Hoplophile Style - November 17, 2018