WASHINGTON — Liberal radio talk show host, Mike Malloy, along with the man who leaked the Pentagon Papers, Daniel Ellsberg, and more than 100 other anti-war protesters were arrested outside the White House on Saturday, March 19, 2011 in demonstrations marking the eighth anniversary of the U.S.- led illegal war and occupation in Iraq. Ironically, the demonstrations came on the same day that the U.S., French and British suddenly discovered there were human rights concerns in oil-rich Libya and started a bombing assault to establish a no-fly zone over the country where the awakened brutal dictator Gaddafi reigned unmolested for 40 years. The attack was the largest international military action since the Iraq war began on March 19, 2003.
Iraq Veterans Against the War, Veterans for Peace, March Forward!, Code Pink and ANSWER Coalition sponsored the rally. Along with Mike Malloy, other speakers included Daniel Ellsberg (who was also arrested the following day protesting outside Marine Corps Base Quantico in Virginia), Ralph Nader and Chris Hedges.
After the rally, the protesters conducted a silent march which culminated in taking to the White House fence shouting anti-war slogans such as, “Stop the War! Expose the Lies! Free Bradley Manning!”
“Charged with 34 counts, including ‘aiding the enemy,’ Bradley Manning faces life in prison and maybe execution. He is accused of illegally downloading hundreds of thousands of secret military and State Department documents and giving it to WikiLeaks.
To many Americans, Manning is a traitor. To many Americans, Manning is a hero.
To Daniel Ellsberg, Manning is something else.
‘I was that young man; I was Bradley Manning,’ he says.” CNN Reported (although, if you notice in the article, they couldn’t bother to get a picture from Saturday’s event, but instead chose to run one from the rally in December.)
The protesters on Saturday were arrested after ignoring orders to move away from the gates of the White House.
Click the video on top of the page for Mike Malloy’s speech at the rally, subsequent arrest, release and final commentary regarding his experience.
Daniel Ellsberg’s comments:
Ralph Nader’s comments:
Chris Hedges’ moving comments:
- White Nationalists Throw Hate “Business Cards” at Black Woman - November 6, 2018
- Supposed Persecuted Trump supporter Scams Cons Out of $150,000 - November 5, 2018
- In 3 A.M. Tweet, Trump Complains he’s the Real Victim of Mail Bombs - October 26, 2018
- Melania Trump Claims She’s ‘The Most Bullied Person in the World’ and the Internet Groans - October 11, 2018
- Right Wingers Help Completely False Kremlin-Made Propaganda Video Go Viral - October 9, 2018
- Historian: Mitch McConnell is the “Gravedigger of American Democracy” - October 5, 2018
- Donald Trump Tried To Trick His Elderly Father Into Changing His Will - October 4, 2018
- Survey: Trump Surpasses ‘Terrorism’ as Germans’ Greatest Fear - September 6, 2018
- Ron DeSantis Moderated Racist Facebook Group That Attacks Minorities, Parkland Survivors - August 30, 2018
- Architect: Betsy DeVos’ Ostentatious McMansion Sucks - August 8, 2018