Donald Trump’s strategy for 2020 seems to center around churning out red meat in order to turn out the base. In one of the more outrageous examples of this, he has spent a lot of time on the stump railing about how Democrats want to sit and watch moms and doctors kill babies. Well, a nurse in Michigan was having none of it. After Trump repeated this lie for the umpteenth time over the weekend, she decided to give him and the nation a lesson on what parents really go through when a baby either dies in the womb or soon after he or she is born.
During a Saturday night rally in Green Bay, Trump repeated what has become a standard line among abortion foes–Democrats want to make infanticide legal. Watch here.
After blasting Wisconsin governor Tony Evers for threatening to veto a bill that would supposedly “protect Wisconsin babies born alive,” Trump laid out a supposedly grisly scenario.
The baby is born. The mother meets with the doctor. They take care of the baby. They wrap the baby beautifully, and then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby. I don’t think so.
This is a recycled version of an urban myth that has been floating around anti-abortion circles for much of 2019. Never mind that medical opinion is almost unanimous that babies can’t be born alive during late-term abortions. After all, most late-term abortions occur when either the mother’s life is at risk from a continued pregnancy, or when the fetus cannot survive outside the womb.
When Julia Pulver, a veteran newborn intensive care unit nurse from the Detroit suburbs, saw Trump’s comments, she hit the ceiling. Pulver has seen first-hand what happens when babies either die shortly after they are born or are stillborn. So she knows that Trump was blowing smoke. So just after Trump left the stage, Pulver gave him both barrels.
In other words–a nurse who has actually lived and breathed through situations where babies either don’t make it out of the womb or die soon afterward knows that Trump is full of it. After reading this, you really have to wonder if Politifact was too kind in calling Trump’s rant “False.”
Pulver is one of many women who jumped headlong into politics in the wake of Trump’s upset victory. Shortly after the 2016 election, she founded Women Organize Michigan, which addresses “progressive causes that matter most to women” in the Wolverine State. Last year, she nearly flipped an ancestrally Republican state senate seat, losing by just 4,400 votes–all the more impressive considering that a Democrat hadn’t cracked the 40,000-vote barrier in the last two elections.
Pulve told Michigan Advance unlike most of Trump’s other “conspiracy theories,” his rant in Wisconsin was “something I could specifically, personally and professionally dispute.” She wanted the world to know “what really happens when babies pass away in hospitals.” The world is certainly noticing. As of Monday night, Pulver’s thread has been retweeted over 53,000 times.
Early Monday morning, The Washington Post revealed that Trump had made over 10,000 false or misleading statements since taking office. But his ranting about infanticide is probably one of the most monstrous of those whoppers. And it’s even more so because any nurse who has spent time in an NICU knows it’s baloney.
- GOP Congresswoman: It’s ‘Indisputable’ Trump Needed To Be Impeached - January 17, 2021
- ‘Prophetic’ Writer: God Allowed Attack On Capitol To Rebuke Democrats - January 14, 2021
- Trump Lawyer: You Can’t Have ‘Smooth Transition’ If Trump Is Pushed Out - January 10, 2021
- Fundies Want Proof Biden Won Even After Trump Tried To Steal Georgia - January 4, 2021
- Trumpkin Lawyer Thinks VP Pence ‘Will NEVER Certify A Lie’ - December 30, 2020
- Trumpkin Pastor: Accept Trump As God’s ‘Key Instrument,’ Or Shut Up - December 19, 2020
- Trumpian preachers: Evangelical Prophets or Evangelical Prevaricators? - December 17, 2020
- Matt Gaetz: Only A ‘Partisan Hack’ Accepts That Trump Lost - December 12, 2020
- Lawyer Slams Election Fraud–While Calling For ‘Kraken’ To Steal Biden’s Win - December 8, 2020
- Trumpkin Lawyer: Brian Kemp And Other ‘Devils’ Helped Biden Flip Georgia - December 2, 2020