Who The Hell Is Matt Gaetz?
Right wing politicians tend to have a tenuous grip on reality, but Matt Gaetz has taken it to a whole new level of absurdity.
So, who the hell is Matt Gaetz?
Well, the short answer is that Gaetz is the rep from Florida’s 1st congressional district. He’s a pro-NRA, anti-environment, anti-Medicare, anti-immigrant, anti-Mueller, Trump protege. (Think: a slightly smarter Devin Nunes, in that he can walk and chew gum at the same time. Not all that well, but still….)
He pops up on the news cycle from time to time. The first time I ran across him was when he was named as a possible recipient of Russian hacking info in the 2016 election. Then there was the verbal altercation with a Parkland dad over gun violence. Just a few days after that, Gaetz was caught sending a “Soprano’s” type warning to Michael Cohen:
Do your wife & father-in-law know about your girlfriends? Maybe tonight would be a good time for that chat. I wonder if she’ll remain faithful when you’re in prison. She’s about to learn a lot…
He’s under investigation by the Florida Bar over that one!
Which brings us to his latest dizzy doozy:
Donald Trump, The First Female President?
This week at a House Judiciary Committee hearing on the LGBTQ ‘Equality Act, Gaetz came up with a novel (to say the least) reason for opposing the act:
I want to support this legislation and in the broadest sense I do. I believe that individuals in our country should not face discrimination for their sex or their gender or their sexual orientation. … I very much want to support the legislation, but I can’t. Because the legislation would only nominally protect certain individuals while causing tremendous harm to others.
What happens when sex is defined as gender identity and gender identity is terribly vague? Will all sex-based distinctions be erased?”
I strongly support the rights of transgender individuals. I will not denigrate or deny their existence of their struggles. But I am concerned about the potential bad actors who would exploit the provisions of this law for their own gain.
Consider this possibility. If President Trump were to say, ‘I am now the first female president,’ who would celebrate that? Would those who support the legislation think that’s a good thing or would they be dismayed?
(My apologies for those who are now stuck with a vision of “The Donald” in drag.)
So, he “strongly supports the rights of transgender individuals. Except there’s this YUUUGE problem, so he doesn’t!
That’s a prime example of trying to have it both ways, when it comes to his constituents. To the troglodytes, he can claim that he won’t vote for LGBTQ equality. At the same time, he can tell moderates that he’s really for equality if it wasn’t for the problems it would generate.[Thx to “Crooks & Liars” for the use of their video.]
- Islamic & Christian Fundies: Two Coins of the Same Side - November 26, 2019
- Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Impeachment - November 14, 2019
- Louie Gohmert Goes All ‘Civil War’ Over Impeachment - November 1, 2019
- Walk On Holy Water In Your Jesus Shoes For Just 14,000 Shekels! - October 15, 2019
- This Week in God (As worshiped by Bronze Age troglodytes!) - October 6, 2019
- Non-Khristians Not Welcome In New State To Be Called ‘Liberty!’ - September 14, 2019
- Sarah ‘Caribou Barbie’ Palin Dumped By Hubby? - September 10, 2019
- The Second Amendment Ain’t What It Used To Be! (Part 1) - September 5, 2019
- Troglodyte: Khristians Need Militias For The Coming Civil War - September 4, 2019
- Sex, Drugs and Bank Fraud = Right Wing ‘Family Values? - August 31, 2019