It seems like every time something horrible happens, be it mass shootings, or natural disasters, there’s a call for “Thoughts & Prayers” for the people affected. (As if that ever rectifies the situation.)
For instance, there’s South Dakota.
South Dakota weather can get a bit nasty in the winter. And, with climate change, it seems to be getting even nastier. As much of the rest of the country slips into tornado season (and/or spring) there’s another bad blizzard (aka “Bomb Cyclone“) headed their way.
But, fear not! Help is on the way!
The South Dakota Governor, Kristi Noem, has called a statewide Day of Prayer for South Dakotans, this Sunday [4/14/19].
As the Republican governor put it,
In the last few weeks, South Dakota has been deeply impacted by extreme weather and severe flooding. As a result of these storms, many communities have been left with destroyed roads, bridges, and culverts, stranded livestock, and flooded homes.
This coming Sunday, I am asking South Dakotans to join me in praying for the well-being of our state, our first responders, and all those who’ve been affected by this disaster. By the grace of God, our communities will emerge from this challenge stronger than ever.
Well, you have to admit, (If you’re a rube with a sub-70 IQ!) they know what they’re doing. Just look how effective thoughts and prayers have been in fighting the scourge of mass shootings.
- Prayers won’t get rid of all that snow. The sun will eventually take care of that.
- Prayers won’t evaporate the flood waters! They’ll just travel down stream and continue flooding until they reach the sea.
- Prayers won’t revive cattle that died in the blizzard! But, the price of rib eyes might rise.
- Prayers won’t restore lost power. That takes men, equipment and time.
- Prayers won’t really do a damn thing except perhaps mollify people dumb enough to think they’ll actually have a positive affect. Sort of like the aforementioned mass shootings.
I’m reminded of the old saw, “You get the politicians you deserve!” Which, particularly in Kristi Noem’s case, doesn’t paint South Dakota voters in a very favorable light.
- A top Pennsylvania Republican said coronavirus only threatens children in poor health. That’s not true. - May 14, 2020
- US Justice Dept drops case against ex-Trump aide Flynn - May 7, 2020
- Trump ‘not concerned’ after Brazil official who met him tests positive for coronavirus - March 12, 2020
- AG Orders Jim Bakker to Stop Claiming His ‘Silver Solution’ Kills Coronavirus - March 6, 2020
- Islamic & Christian Fundies: Two Coins of the Same Side - November 26, 2019
- Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Impeachment - November 14, 2019
- Louie Gohmert Goes All ‘Civil War’ Over Impeachment - November 1, 2019
- Walk On Holy Water In Your Jesus Shoes For Just 14,000 Shekels! - October 15, 2019
- This Week in God (As worshiped by Bronze Age troglodytes!) - October 6, 2019
- Non-Khristians Not Welcome In New State To Be Called ‘Liberty!’ - September 14, 2019