Let’s not beat around the bush. From the moment Donald Trump rode down the escalator of Trump Tower in 2015, he has been pulling a giant swindle on the nation and the world. For instance, Trump would like you to judge him on what he does for the average American–or, as he put it in his inaugural address, “the forgotten people.”
Well, let’s see. While Trump claimed his massive tax cut package had something for everyone, the Bureau of Labor Statistics admitted earlier this summer that workers’ wages actually dropped since it was signed into law. And last winter, CNBC’s John Harwood ticked off a number of anecdotes that suggest Trump had already forgotten the forgotten people. For instance, Trump tried to slash Obamacare subsidies, and 15 percent of middle class Americans could potentially see their taxes go up as early as 2019.
And, of course, there are the numerous times where Trump and his family have gone on taxpayer-funded junkets–either to the links or on Trump Organization business. The numbers and anecdotes don’t lie–while Trump portrays himself as the voice of Joe Sixpack, he has actually governed like the entitled one-percenter that he really is.
But that hasn’t stopped his diehard supporters from continuing to promote this alternative fact. Take Judge Jeanine Pirro, for instance. Among Fox News personalities, Pirro is as loyal to Trump as anyone. Indeed, by this writer’s reckoning, the only people on the fair and balanced network more loyal to Trump are Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham. When you’re only fourth behind that crew, that’s usually good enough to be first by a mile anywhere else.
Just before the close of business on Friday, Judge Jeanine showed just how loyal to Trump she still is, even in the face of everything that has transpired in just the last few weeks alone.
Really, Judge Jeanine? If Trump really “thinks the way we think,” then why does he see fit to go golfing almost every other week and send us the bill? Most of us don’t get to go to the links when we’re on the clock.
And if Trump really is “us,” why does he see fit to fire off hateful and violent memes attacking CNN and Hillary Clinton? And how did he think it was remotely acceptable to call Omarosa a “dog”? Most Americans would be fired and told–not asked–to get counseling if we did anything like that.
Moreover, if he really is “us,” then he would have gotten a job for someone not related to him. As near as can be determined, before becoming president, Trump spent virtually all of his working life on the payroll of what became the Trump Organization–either as the heir apparent or the CEO. That may explain why he is seemingly unable to bear being criticized.
Increasingly, the American people see that Trump really doesn’t speak for them. A new CNN/SSRS poll pegs Trump’s approval rating at 36 percent. More tellingly, a mere 36 percent of Americans believe that Trump cares about people like them. Only 32 percent see him as honest and trustworthy, and only 40 percent believe he respects the rule of law.
In other words, on the issues that, at least on paper, matter to the “forgotten people,” Trump gets failing grades. It’s yet more evidence that any claim that Trump speaks for them isn’t just an alternative fact. It comes from an alternative universe.
- Lindsey Graham Has Memory Lapse, Wails About ‘Total Collapse’ Of Confirmation (TWEETS) - September 24, 2018
- Ann Coulter: Kavanaugh Accuser Is ‘MeTooCrazy’ (TWEET) - September 23, 2018
- Donald Jr. Hits Kavanaugh Accuser Below The Belt–Again (TWEETS/VIDEO) - September 22, 2018
- Franklin Graham’s Nephew, A Victim’s Advocate, Thinks Kavanaugh Accuser IS Relevant (VIDEO/TWEETS) - September 20, 2018
- Right-Wing Blogger Knows REAL Reason Dems Oppose Kavanaugh (TWEETS/VIDEO) - September 18, 2018
- Kellyanne Says Kavanaugh Accuser ‘Should Not Be Insulted’–After Donald Jr. Insults Her (VIDEO/PHOTO) - September 17, 2018
- Trump: Mueller Is ‘In Search Of A Crime’ Despite EIGHT Guilty Pleas (TWEETS) - September 16, 2018
- Fundie Activist: If Trump Is An Ogre, Vote In People Who ‘Share His Values’ (VIDEO) - September 15, 2018
- Lou Dobbs: Puerto Rico Death Toll Is Fake News (TWEETS) - September 14, 2018
- San Juan’s Mayor Shows Us How To Respond To A Trump Tirade (TWEETS/VIDEOS) - September 13, 2018