A couple of years ago, Slate’s website ran a quiz consisting of quotes and asking if they were Christian fundamentalist quotes or Islamic fundamentalist quotes. (I flunked bad! 4 out of 9)
I’ve taken the liberty of stealing a couple of the quotes to get you in the mood.
[A girl] can read a book, prepare her homework, join a charity, and spend her time doing things that are useful to her in this world and the world to come, instead of thinking about satisfying her urges.
C.F. or I.F.?
A child who disrespects his parents must be permanently removed from society in a way that gives an example to all other children of the importance of respect for parents. The death penalty for rebellious children is not something to be taken lightly.
C.F. or I.F.?
Answers in a bit. (No fair peeking!)
Christianity and Islam are branches, continuations, modifications, whatever, of Judaism, which is itself a consolidation and continuation of earlier belief systems. (Jesus is actually mentioned more times in the Qur’an than Mohammad, by a score of 25 to 4. Also, the only woman mentioned in the Qur’an is Jesus’ mother.)
I read once that the more two rival organizations were alike, the more bad blood between them. That would explain a lot of Christian/Islamic, Christian/Jewish, Catholic/Protestant and Protestant/Protestant wars throughout the last two millenia.
When it comes to commonalities, C.F. and I.F. are “two peas in a pod” or “two bits in a byte”, if you prefer.
- Both primarily come from the lower socio-economic echelons of their societies.
- Both divide the world into “believers” (US) and “infidels” (THEM).
- Both are sworn enemies of secular democracy.
- Both would prefer to live in a theocracy with their version of religious laws supreme.
Christian politics has as its primary intent the conquest of the land – of men, families, institutions, bureaucracies, courts, and governments for the Kingdom of Christ. It is to reinstitute the authority of God’s Word as supreme over all judgments, over all legislation, over all declarations, constitutions and confederations. – George Grant: “The Changing of the Guard” [Dominion Press, 1987]’ pp. 50-51
(In other words, exactly the way government works in Iran!)
- Both view a woman as little more than a man’s property.
Women cannot handle power. It is not within them to handle power. … The real and true power comes from God and God is the one that gave man the power and authority over the wife. – Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson: “How Liberal Women are Building a Shameless Society” podcast
- Both are rabidly anti-LBGT
- Both are high on the death penalty for a wide variety of “sins”.
If we could have it our way, then there would be capital punishment for kidnapping, sorcery, bestiality, adultery, homosexuality and cursing one’s parents. – Greg Dickison: “Credenda Ageda” (vol. 3: nos. 9, 11)
(That sounds an awful lot like Sharia law to me!)
- Both oppose multiculturalism.
- Both believe that it’s their duty to convert the world to their way of thinking(?).
- Both believe that education should include indoctrination into their view of religion.
- Both use violence to “further the cause”.
Check out “The Army of God Manual“ [downloadable doc] if you have any doubts about that statement. Or, just think of all the attacks on abortion clinics and the various murders of doctors and employees.Plus, there’s a lot more info here, and here and also here.
To wrap this up before I get too nauseous, let’s see how you did on the quote quiz?
The 1st quote was from an Egyptian Islamic theologian, Yusuf al-Qaradhawi, speaking on the evils of female masturbation. (But, not male???)
The 2nd quote is straight form the (nether) mouth of a Repugnut candidate for the Arkansas House of Reps., Charlie Fuqua. (Resist the temptation to play around with his name. It’s way too easy.)
- Biden: ‘Weak’ Trump has fomented violence in US cities - August 31, 2020
- Trump Praises Turkish President Erdoğan In Front Of Freed Hostage Andrew Brunson During RNC Segment - August 26, 2020
- Nancy Pelosi Calls COVID-19 ‘Trump Virus’ – Instead Of President’s Favored ‘Chinese Virus’ - July 25, 2020
- Micheal Cohen Lawyers File Petition For His Release From Prison, Claiming Retaliation For Book About Trump - July 22, 2020
- Trump Accuses Biden Of Trying To ‘Abolish Suburbs’ In Odd Rose Garden Press Conference - July 17, 2020
- Trump Fires Campaign Manager Brad Parscale, Replaces Him With Bill Stepien Amid Poor Polling - July 16, 2020
- Trump move to free ally Stone is ‘historic corruption’: Republican senator - July 11, 2020
- Trump Far Right Rally Gets pranked by Borat Creator - June 30, 2020
- Trump faces outrage after report reveals Russia offered Afghan militants ‘rewards to kill Americans’ - June 27, 2020
- A top Pennsylvania Republican said coronavirus only threatens children in poor health. That’s not true. - May 14, 2020