The religious right has spent the last three-plus years warning us about opposing Donald Trump. Their explanation? Since God hacked the election for Trump, opposing him is tantamount to opposing the Almighty. This has led to some pretty chilling statements from the nation’s so-called moral guardians. However, the most chilling of all came from Rick Wiles of TruNews. He actually believed that we ought to shutter media outlets that supposedly oppose Trump for “sedition.”
It therefore came as something of a surprise on Thursday when Wiles warned of a disturbing trend coming from the White House. He feared that his fellow conservatives were missing signs that Trump was becoming a dictator.
Let’s review. Just two weeks after Trump took office, Wiles wrung his hands about the growing opposition to Trump. He’d researched the federal sedition laws, and concluded that the already-burgeoning resistance movement was manifestly guilty of “outright sedition” against “a legitimate government.” But he went further than that. He argued that those joining the resistance were not only committing earthly crimes, but were “breaking God’s laws.” People for the American Way’s Right Wing Watch got a clip of the worst parts; listen here.
Let’s not beat around the bush. What Wiles was calling for was fascism. He googled down on this fascist line after a hardcore Bernie Sanders supporter turned the Republican congressional baseball team’s practice into a shooting gallery. To Wiles’ mind, the shooting proved it was time to shutter the Democratic Party as “a violent, seditious political movement.” For good measure, he believed MSNBC needed to be shut down as well.
In other words, Wiles was calling for a real-life version of “Revenge of the Sith.” Specifically, “Order 66,” the violent crackdown in which Palpatine wiped out the Jedi on trumped-up charges of a coup, and used it as a pretext to destroy the Republic and set up the Empire.
In light of Wiles’ open call for fascism, the line he took on Thursday’s edition of “TruNews” came as a surprise, to say the least. He warned about a “more chilling, autocratic tone” in Trump’s recent statements.
Gee, Rick, isn’t that what you wanted? After all, you loudly demanded that Trump shutter the Democrats and media outlets seen as supporting Democrats and/or opposing Trump. One has to wonder if Wiles can’t handle the monster he helped create.
But the reason for Wiles’ change of heart should put to rest any talk of welcoming him to the ranks of the never-Trumpers. He claimed that a number of recent events, including the appointment of a Lubavitcher Orthodox Jew to a key post in the National Security Agency, were evidence of oncoming dictatorship.
In other words, Wiles is just putting a new gloss on his increasingly virulent anti-Semitism. And no matter how loudly he now denounces Trump, at bottom that still makes him a deplorable.
- Jim Bakker And Friends: It’s ‘Deeply Inhuman’ To Oppose Trump - November 12, 2019
- Paula White Thinks Impeachment Is A Demon She Can Bind - November 10, 2019
- Gateway Pundit Joins Donald Jr. In Endangering Innocent People - November 6, 2019
- Sebastian Gorka Left Speechless After YouTube Shuts Him Down - November 5, 2019
- Trumpkin Pastors To Followers: Trump Foes Are ‘Impeaching Your Values’ - November 3, 2019
- Trumpkin Prophets Try To Say ‘Hush!’ To Impeachment - November 1, 2019
- Pastor Still Accuses Dems Of Disloyalty, Even After More Testimony - October 31, 2019
- Rogue GOP Staffers May Have Helped Invade Dem Lawmaker’s Privacy - October 30, 2019
- Even After Impeachment Testimony, Pastor STILL Calls Trump Foes Possessed - October 28, 2019
- Trumpkin Pastor: If Dems Oust Trump, His Base Will Get Revenge - October 24, 2019