If you’ve seen footage of white nationalist, white supremacist and neo-Nazi rallies lately, you’ve probably heard marchers chanting, “You will not replace us!” The Southern Poverty Law Center caught an example from when the same thugs responsible for last August’s horror in Charlottesville had the gall to return in October.
It grew out of a longstanding urban myth on the right-wing fringe–white people and white culture are under full-scale attack from multiculturalism. A variation on this chant is “Jews will not replace us!”
This sort of dog-whistling isn’t limited to the likes of Richard Spencer, Baked Alaska, Chris Cantwell, and Andrew Anglin. It seems to have made its way into “respectable” conservative circles as well. We got a reminder of this when a religious right talk show host claimed that liberals are trying to use immigration to destroy this country as we know it.
On Thursday, American Family Radio morning host Sandy Rios was railing about “Spygate” when a caller asked about Trump’s approach to immigration. Rios claimed that Democratic administrations have tried to play the race card when formulating immigration policy–and then preceded to play the race card herself. People for the American Way’s Right Wing Watch got a clip.
Rios claimed that when Democratic presidents want to loosen immigration restrictions, they’re publicly maintaining that they’re doing it “to show that we are in fact not a racist society.” But she claimed that they had more in mind than that. They actually had a political agenda in mind.
“We will create more voters and we will overwhelm the American patriots who are in this country who will never vote for socialism, which is what we want, and will never give us the control that we want and so we’re going to dilute the population. We’re going to bring in more voters and then we will gain more control.”
In just under a minute and a half, Rios blew dozens of dog whistles. To hear her talk, Democrats want to open the borders so they can increase Democratic turnout at the polls–and in the process, swamp “American patriots” (read: white conservatives). Rios dropped any pretense of nuance when she claimed Democrats want to “dilute the population.” Simply put, Rios took a minute and a half to tell her audience, “Democrats want to replace you.”
This isn’t the first time that Rios has blown a racist dog whistle into a megaphone. In February, for instance, she wrung her hands at how undocumented immigrants have “overrun” California. Supposedly, they got an assist from Democrats who want votes from people who “don’t share America’s traditional views on things.” Listen here.
Listening to these clips, it’s literally impossible to hear any discernible difference between the sentiments Rios expressed and those we’ve heard from out-and-out Nazis like Spencer and Anglin. One has to wonder–are AFR and its parent organization, the American Family Association, joining Breitbart in attempting to normalize hate and racism? If they are, then AFR president Tim Wildmon needs to be put on notice that he is in for the same treatment as Breitbart.
- Wingnut Pastor: Trump Is Actually Sweet To The Media - December 11, 2019
- Trump Youth Group Promotes Debunked Smears Against Hillary - December 7, 2019
- Black Conservative: Reporters Deserve To Get Blasted By Trump - December 5, 2019
- Impeachment Opens Trap Door For Trump Even If He Isn’t Removed - December 3, 2019
- Blacks Bristle At Pete Buttigeg Comparing Blacks To Gays - December 1, 2019
- Trumpkins Amplify A White House Lie AFTER It’s Debunked - November 30, 2019
- Paula White Gets Put On Blast By Fellow Trumpkins - November 30, 2019
- Marsha Blackburn Uncorks Another Low Blow At Alexander Vindman - November 26, 2019
- Why Trump Claims We Wage War On His Followers When We Attack Him - November 25, 2019
- Trump’s Racist Tweets At Minority Lawmakers Are Impeachable Acts - November 22, 2019