If you’ve seen footage of white nationalist, white supremacist and neo-Nazi rallies lately, you’ve probably heard marchers chanting, “You will not replace us!” The Southern Poverty Law Center caught an example from when the same thugs responsible for last August’s horror in Charlottesville had the gall to return in October.
It grew out of a longstanding urban myth on the right-wing fringe–white people and white culture are under full-scale attack from multiculturalism. A variation on this chant is “Jews will not replace us!”
This sort of dog-whistling isn’t limited to the likes of Richard Spencer, Baked Alaska, Chris Cantwell, and Andrew Anglin. It seems to have made its way into “respectable” conservative circles as well. We got a reminder of this when a religious right talk show host claimed that liberals are trying to use immigration to destroy this country as we know it.
On Thursday, American Family Radio morning host Sandy Rios was railing about “Spygate” when a caller asked about Trump’s approach to immigration. Rios claimed that Democratic administrations have tried to play the race card when formulating immigration policy–and then preceded to play the race card herself. People for the American Way’s Right Wing Watch got a clip.
Rios claimed that when Democratic presidents want to loosen immigration restrictions, they’re publicly maintaining that they’re doing it “to show that we are in fact not a racist society.” But she claimed that they had more in mind than that. They actually had a political agenda in mind.
“We will create more voters and we will overwhelm the American patriots who are in this country who will never vote for socialism, which is what we want, and will never give us the control that we want and so we’re going to dilute the population. We’re going to bring in more voters and then we will gain more control.”
In just under a minute and a half, Rios blew dozens of dog whistles. To hear her talk, Democrats want to open the borders so they can increase Democratic turnout at the polls–and in the process, swamp “American patriots” (read: white conservatives). Rios dropped any pretense of nuance when she claimed Democrats want to “dilute the population.” Simply put, Rios took a minute and a half to tell her audience, “Democrats want to replace you.”
This isn’t the first time that Rios has blown a racist dog whistle into a megaphone. In February, for instance, she wrung her hands at how undocumented immigrants have “overrun” California. Supposedly, they got an assist from Democrats who want votes from people who “don’t share America’s traditional views on things.” Listen here.
Listening to these clips, it’s literally impossible to hear any discernible difference between the sentiments Rios expressed and those we’ve heard from out-and-out Nazis like Spencer and Anglin. One has to wonder–are AFR and its parent organization, the American Family Association, joining Breitbart in attempting to normalize hate and racism? If they are, then AFR president Tim Wildmon needs to be put on notice that he is in for the same treatment as Breitbart.
- QAnon Kook-In-Chief Smears Chrissy Teigen–Again - August 19, 2019
- False Prophet Warns Against Supporting Dems, Explains It’s ‘Spiritual Treason’ - August 18, 2019
- False Prophet: Bow And Pray To The Orange God, Or You’ll Burn Forever - August 17, 2019
- Activists Who Fight Against Fundies In Military Reveal Some Of Their Hate Mail - August 14, 2019
- QAnon Kook-In-Chief: Q May Have Planned For Epstein To Die In His Cell - August 12, 2019
- Leading Trumpkin Refuses To Accept Reality That Jeffrey Epstein Killed Himself - August 11, 2019
- Chief QAnon Kook’s Silence On Elephant In Epstein Room Is Telling - August 8, 2019
- Young McConnell Supporter Apologizes For AOC Choke Joke - August 6, 2019
- Very Fine Young McConnell Supporters Think It’s OK To Choke AOC - August 5, 2019
- Donald Jr. Likes Video Calling Out Men Who Trash Women - August 3, 2019