Just in case you thought “Trump Chumps” were the dumbest people on the planet, meet the “Flat Earthers.” (Although, there’s probably an unhealthy mix of both in their membership.)
One of the myths I was taught back in elementary school was that Columbus was mighty brave. After all, people of his time thought the earth was flat and he would sail right off the edge. The uneducated may have believed that, but the educated classes knew the earth was round as far back as circa 200 BCE, when Eratosthenes proved it by using nothing more than some shadows and a bit of geometry.
Then in 1519-22 Magellan’s expedition sailed around the world. Or did they? Not according to Flat-Earthers. To them, they sailed around ON the world.
The Flat Earth Pseudoscience
The modern(?) Flat Earthers got their start with a pamphlet written by a person who had dropped out of school at the age of 9. In 1849, Samuel Rowbotham wrote a 16 page pamphlet and later (1881) expanded it into a 430 page book, Zetetic Astronomy: Earth Not a Globe.
Among his (pseudo)scientific claims:
- The Earth is a flat disc centered at the North Pole and bounded along its southern edge by a “wall of ice.” (aka Antarctica)
- The sun and moon are both floating 3000 miles above the Earth-disk
- The rest of the universe is a bit farther up there. (About 100 miles farther.)
Oh, and Rowbotham also claimed that the bible backed him up. That peaked my curiosity, so I checked out what it had to say about the earth. (Other than taking six days to build.)
- The earth is immobile: 1st Chronicles 16:30
- The earth has ends or edges: Job 37:3
- The earth has four corners: Isaiah 11:12, Revelations 7:1;
- The earth rests on pillars: 1st Samuel 2:8
- And, btw, it’s small and flat enough to be seen in it’s entirety from a mountain: Matthew 4:8
The Flat Earth Society
The most recent iteration of the FES was relaunched in October, 2009. Despite all the scientific advancements and explorations, their core beliefs haven’t budged. They have however, updated them with new information.
For instance, Flat Earthers now claim that both the sun and the moon are both 32 miles in diameter. Also, modern Flat Earthers believe that the Antarctic “wall of ice” that surrounds the earth disk is 150 high. (The Antarctic mountains that show up in some photos were faked!)
Speaking of photos, those supposedly taken from earth orbit are simply the distorted effects of wide-angle lenses. And, as every body knows (All the Flat Earthers, anyway.) all those moon and Mars photos are scams. They have to be, because we’ve never been to either.
Flat Earth Fantasies
Recently, CBS interviewed some Flat Earthers. And yes, they really are that dumb. One true believer, Patricia Steere had some choice tidbits to share.
We didn’t go to the Moon. And we don’t have a rover on Mars. And we didn’t do a fly-by of Pluto. And we’ve never been to space! Period.
It’s a giant game of chess and, we — all of us in humanity — are the pawns. Part of the whole fodder thing is keeping us locked down, not knowledgeable about who we are, who we really are as people and what we’re capable of.
One other “Flat Head,” Michael Hughes, had shot himself 6000 feet in the air on a home-built rocket to prove the earth has no curvature. (I can stand on a seashore and prove the earth is curved, he missed it from a whole 6000 feet.) He has plans to take another rocket trip to the edge of space.
According to this mental midget,
I expect to see a flat disc up there!
The Flat Earth Society is one more indication of the lousy condition of American education. No wonder Regressives do so well. These fools will believe anything, except the facts right in front of their faces.
p.s.: If my ramblings don’t revolt you, check out my FaceBook page (“Grouchy’s Grumbles”) you might just enjoy it. Better yet, you might “like” it. I’d love it if you did. It’s free (and worth every cent) and almost completely painless (other than the usual bad jokes).
- Tom Brady Is Sleeping With A Witch? Wait, WTF? - February 11, 2019
- Just How ‘Mobbed Up’ Is Trump? (Part 1) - February 10, 2019
- Trump Hates Illegal Immigrants, But Loves To Hire Them - February 8, 2019
- Tinfoil Toupeed Troglodyte: Witches attacked Guantanamo Bay - February 4, 2019
- Holy Hypocrites! Are Evangelicals The Biggest Porn Addicts? - January 22, 2019
- RWNJ: Syrian Suicide Murders ‘Coordinated’ by Defense Contractors - January 18, 2019
- The U.S. Is A ‘Christian Nation?’ Not According To The Founding Fathers! - January 17, 2019
- Trump: No CA FEMA Funding For Fires Unless Forests Raked - January 9, 2019
- Wingnut: Demonic CNN Hates Freedom, Consumed With Witchcraft - November 19, 2018
- Michele Bachmann: ‘We Do Not Accept Defeat!’ - November 7, 2018