Have a Certain Physical ‘Shortcoming?’
There’s a Tank for That.
Feel the need to own a tank? The 2nd Amendment says you can have one.
Well, at least one pseudo-historian says that it says that.
For those of you who haven’t had the displeasure, allow me to introduce David Barton. (I’d really rather not, but if I don’t, you won’t have a clue as to who I’m writing about.)
The “short of it” is that David Barton is the troglodytes’ fave (and fake) ‘historian.’
The “long of it,” is a bit longer:
Barton is a graduate of Oral Roberts University. Barton got his B.A. in Religious Education. Somehow, that segued into a bunch of B.S. in history. He also claims a PhD (As in “Piled higher & Deeper) from an unaccredited podunk college.
Oral Roberts (for those of you who weren’t around back then) was Pat Robertson before Pat Robertson was Pat Robertson.
One of the things Roberts was famous for, was his relationship with a 900 foot tall Jesus. (I kid you not!)
BS History R Us!
One of Barton’s primary bits of revisionism is his insistence this is a “Christian” (or, in his case, “Khristian”) nation inspired by Big Daddy, hisownself. This despite multiple statements by Washington, Franklin, Adams, Jefferson and several other Founding Fathers. But, then again, Barton thinks the oaf in the Oval Office was inspired by B.D. as well.
He also writes that
- Vaccines contain parts of aborted fetuses.
- 1st Amendment religious freedom doesn’t include religions that are not his.
- The Supreme Court doesn’t have authority over the president. (Marbury v. Madison, the case he refers to, ruled the exact opposite.)
There’s a heck of a lot more drivel like this, but you get the picture.
Jets and Cannons and Tanks, Oh My!
Back in 2013, Barton claimed that the 2nd Amendment says you can own military bazookas. machine guns, even Abrams tanks and F-16s.
The belief of the Second Amendment was you as a citizen have a right to defend yourself whether it be against a thug, an aggressor, a crook, or against your government.
Now this is where a lot of liberals go through the roof; are you saying that you think individual citizens have a right to own a machine gun?
Yeah. And an Abrams Tank, and a bazooka, and a F-16 because you’ve got a right to defend yourself with the same size of weapons that might be brought against you … You have a right to fight back with whatever you can get your hands on to defend your life, your property, your possession, your family, your whatever.
That was then, and this is now, but nothing has changed tank-wise, jet-wise, or any wise at all.
This week, Barton reiterated his stand on his imagined 2nd Amendment “rights:”
The deal was you have a right to defend yourself. So, the biggest weapon in that day would have been a cannon—hand’s down, a cannon. You’re allowed, as a citizen, to own cannons.
Whatever the government had, you could have,” he added, “because we might have to take on the government some day. We hope that never happens, but in case it does, we defend ourselves from anything that comes after us; whether it’s from foreign or domestic, whether it’s a gang, whether it’s a government, whether it’s a crazy uncle, we don’t care. So, for them, there was no limitation on what you could use or how you could defend yourself.
They were OK with cannons and that would be our equivalent of high-capacity magazines or machine guns. Or it could be equivalent to a tank.
Other than the Constitutional misinformation, I’m not too worried about Bubba Tudum getting his hands an a tank or a F-16. Besides the obvious advanced skills it takes to operate either, there’s the costs involved: An Abram tank can cost almost $9 million, and F-16s cost between $14-19 million and $25,000 an hour to operate.
- Trump downplays Russia in first comments about cyberattack - December 19, 2020
- Florida Republican Sen. Rick Scott has tested positive for COVID-19 - November 20, 2020
- Trump Allies Look At Buying Right-Wing Cable Network Newsmax To Create ‘Trump TV’ - November 16, 2020
- Trump Campaign Files Lawsuit To Stop Certification Of Biden’s Election Win In Pennsylvania - November 11, 2020
- 58 Million Ballots Have Been Cast Nationwide, Mostly By Democrats - October 25, 2020
- White House press secretary tests positive for coronavirus - October 5, 2020
- Biden: ‘Weak’ Trump has fomented violence in US cities - August 31, 2020
- Trump Praises Turkish President Erdoğan In Front Of Freed Hostage Andrew Brunson During RNC Segment - August 26, 2020
- Nancy Pelosi Calls COVID-19 ‘Trump Virus’ – Instead Of President’s Favored ‘Chinese Virus’ - July 25, 2020
- Micheal Cohen Lawyers File Petition For His Release From Prison, Claiming Retaliation For Book About Trump - July 22, 2020