It takes a level of maturity to function in a democratic Republic as diverse as the United States – a level of maturity Republicans of today simply don’t possess. Today’s example is Republican Ed Gillespie. A Corporate lobbyist running to be the next governor of Virginia.
Republicans denigrate “Massachusetts liberals,” mock “Hollywood liberals,” and deride so-called “Chicago-style politics.” In the long Republican tradition of dividing America, during a private fundraiser on September 14, Gillespie was caught on tape in an exchange with Republican state Sen. Mark Obenshain laughingly deriding Northern Virginia – an entire segment of the state he wants to (pretend) to represent – as “enemy territory.”
OBENSHAIN: Our guy is out there working the streets, I saw him working the Metro stations just the other day.
GILLESPIE: I do. A bit of enemy territory, but working it.
You see, Gillespie and his fellow Republicans aren’t even pretending to represent those citizens whose pigment happens to be a few shades darker than their own.
Progress Virginia responded, “Nearly a third of the Virginia population lives in Northern Virginia. In the course of his campaign, Ed Gillespie has come out strongly against the restoration of rights for returning citizens, run racist campaign ads, and supported gerrymandering in a blatant attempt to choose his own voters rather than allowing the voters to choose who would serve them.”
While it may be true that not all Republicans are racists. It clear to anyone with a functioning brain stem that all racists are Republican. Gillespie knows his audience, and is taking as many racist tricks as he can out of the Republican playbook. His campaign is getting attention for its increasingly overt racism – a common thread that seems to be tightly woven through Trump’s America and Republican Party. Thank’s to the racist authoritarian squatting in the White House, Republicans are feeling particularly emboldened to let their bigotry out of the closet. After all, those old racist dog whistles are so “politically correct.”
As The Root’s Jason Johnson, explained, “In the wake of August’s terrorist attack by white nationalists and white supremacists groups in Charlottesville, Va., Gillespie ran an ad last week against Northam claiming that the Democrat would ‘take our statues down.’
As inherent racists, the best that Republicans can do is pretend to be “patriots” who “love” America while hating just about everyone in it. This is just another example of the fact that Republicans are unfit to hold leadership positions in a modern nation.
Listen to the recording below:
- White Nationalists Throw Hate “Business Cards” at Black Woman - November 6, 2018
- Supposed Persecuted Trump supporter Scams Cons Out of $150,000 - November 5, 2018
- In 3 A.M. Tweet, Trump Complains he’s the Real Victim of Mail Bombs - October 26, 2018
- Melania Trump Claims She’s ‘The Most Bullied Person in the World’ and the Internet Groans - October 11, 2018
- Right Wingers Help Completely False Kremlin-Made Propaganda Video Go Viral - October 9, 2018
- Historian: Mitch McConnell is the “Gravedigger of American Democracy” - October 5, 2018
- Donald Trump Tried To Trick His Elderly Father Into Changing His Will - October 4, 2018
- Survey: Trump Surpasses ‘Terrorism’ as Germans’ Greatest Fear - September 6, 2018
- Ron DeSantis Moderated Racist Facebook Group That Attacks Minorities, Parkland Survivors - August 30, 2018
- Architect: Betsy DeVos’ Ostentatious McMansion Sucks - August 8, 2018