When he took the oath of office today, we knew that reality TV star-turned-president Donald Trump would have some changes to make. But it took less than an hour for the Bowdlerizing of federal agency websites to begin.
Where there used to be a White House web page laying out Barack Obama’s policies to combat climate change, now users only see an error page: “The requested page ‘/energy/climate-change’ could not be found.”
Despite the stumbled transition that has left key positions unfilled, Trump’s team has found time to post “An America First Energy Plan” touting the elimination of “harmful and unnecessary policies such as the Climate Action Plan and the Waters of the US rule” as the means to “greatly help American workers, increasing wages by more than $30 billion over the next seven years.”
Here’s a screenshot, via Mother Jones:
Of course, these purges are not limited to reinforcing silly oil and gas industry propaganda about the costs of climate change mitigation.
The US Department of Labor used to have a PDF on their website titled “Advancing LGBT Workplace Rights” which referred to the topic as “a moral imperative.”
Apparently, LGBT workplace rights are being erased, not just reversed, under the new regime.
The White House used to have a page on LGBT rights, too. It’s where they noted legislative victories, court decisions, the famous ‘It Gets Better’ campaign to reduce youth suicide, and President Obama’s executive orders related to LGBT issues.
Because the new administration is lousy with climate deniers, culture warriors, and conspiracy theorists, observers had expected this to happen. That’s why climate scientists were frantically copying government data for the last several weeks and the Internet Archive established a copy of itself in Canada, out of Trump’s reach.
But, now that we are actually seeing the purge happen in realtime, it hits a lot harder.
- How White Nationalist WH Aide Stephen Miller Became The Perfect Trump Voter - August 4, 2017
- Michele Bachmann Wants Church-State Separation To Protect Hate Crimes - August 2, 2017
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions Lied On His Security Clearance Form - July 13, 2017
- Trump Begins The American Kleptocracy With Air Traffic Control - June 5, 2017
- Neo-Nazi National Guardsman Converts To Islam, Kills His Neo-Nazi Roommates - May 23, 2017
- Morning Joe, Republicans Agree: Donald Trump Is Losing It - May 2, 2017
- Trump Waves Off Questions About His Russia Ties, ‘Wiretap’ Claims (VIDEO) - May 1, 2017
- For Michael Flynn, Orange Really Is The New Black - April 27, 2017
- Fox Five’s Greg Gutfield Wants To Inspire The Next Robert Dear - April 26, 2017
- Donald Trump Will Bear All The Blame For A Government Shutdown - April 24, 2017