Earlier this week, White House information minister Kellyanne Conway appeared to call for an end to the ugly attacks against Christine Blasey Ford, the professor who claims Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her in high school. Conway said that Blasey Ford “should not be insulted” and deserved a chance to be heard. But just a few days later, her boss, Donald Trump, saw fit to hit Blasey Ford way below the belt.
He started at a rally in Las Vegas, when he openly wondered why Blasey Ford’s parents didn’t call the FBI in 1983. He kept it up on Twitter.
Never mind that it is very common for sexual assault victims to keep quiet about their ordeals for years, if they come forward at all–in part because they feel ashamed and embarrassed, and fear no one will believe them. Never mind that in the early 1980s, victim-blaming and victim-shaming were still standard operating procedure.
But we knew even before then that Conway’s plea for order–or rather, Trump making a plea for order for Conway–was nothing more than hot air. Trump’s son, Donald Jr., got the bright idea to mock Blasey Ford on Instagram before she dropped her anonymity–and didn’t have the decency to take that post down.
Then on Thursday–hours before his father took the stage in Vegas–Donald Jr. retweeted this disgusting piece of slut-shaming garbage from right-wing provocateur Dinesh D’Souza.
Cliff Notes version–Blasey Ford brought her ordeal on herself. This sort of thing has sadly become standard operating procedure on the right. But it’s another matter when the president’s son sees fit to endorse this disgusting attempt to hit a woman who makes a very credible claim of sexual assault way below the belt.
On Friday, Donald Jr. got the bright idea to hit Blasey Ford below the belt again. When he learned that Blasey Ford was nervous about flying to Washington to testify, he got the bright idea to make light of it.
Um, Junior? If you actually bothered to read the Politico article referenced in your tweet, you’d see that Blasey Ford has a very good reason to be nervous about flying.
You wondered how many times Blasey Ford has gotten on a plane. Well, have you considered that Blasey Ford faces having to relive what is, to date, the worst moment of her 51 years on this earth? The thought of having to fly across the country to talk about that ordeal on national television would unnerve anyone.
Have you considered that the prospect of having to retell her story has triggered Blasey Ford’s anxiety about being in “confined spaces”? After all, you do see fit to rag her about being a psychology professor who can’t overcome her fear of flying.
We already know Donald Jr. shares his father’s near-total lack of empathy. But the manner in which he’s attacked Blasey Ford is outrageous even by Trump standards. Considering how low those standards are, that takes some effort.
Frankly, there is only one response to this kind of bilge from Donald Jr. or anyone else who has hit Blasey Ford below the belt over the last few days.
With his disgraceful attacks on Blasey Ford, Donald Jr. has proven that he shares more than just a name with his father. Indeed, we now know beyond all doubt that he is his father’s son in every way.
- Trump Degrades Women, But Still Supposedly Has Faith ‘Close To His Heart’ - October 18, 2018
- RWNJ Podcaster: Stormy Daniels Is A ‘Vile Creature,’ Not A Woman - October 17, 2018
- Pat Robertson: We Shouldn’t Be ‘Screaming Blood’ Over Journalists Being Murdered - October 15, 2018
- This Trump Judicial Choice Doesn’t Please The Religious Right - October 14, 2018
- Phil Robertson: Dems Were ‘Satanic’ For Trying To Stop Kavanaugh - October 12, 2018
- RWNJ Pundit Warns That George Soros Is ‘Right-Hand Man’ Of Antichrist–At Least - October 12, 2018
- Saudis Had Contract On Dissident, White House Knew And May Have Done NOTHING - October 10, 2018
- Trump Thinks Murkowski Was ‘Disgraceful’ To Put Basic Decency Over Party - October 8, 2018
- Kimberly Guilfoyle Proves She’s A Trump, Takes Cheap Shot At Beto O’Rourke - October 7, 2018
- Fundie Publisher Dismisses Blasey Ford’s Claims As ‘Nickel And Dime Stuff’ - October 5, 2018