In a sane world, Brett Kavanaugh’s bid to join the Supreme Court should have ended on Thursday, even without the allegations that he sexually assaulted Christine Blasey Ford 35 years ago. In a bizarre, unhinged rant, Kavanaugh tried to connect the firestorm surrounding him to an attempt to exact “revenge on behalf of the Clintons.” Watch him rail here.
In what world is it even remotely possible for a Supreme Court nominee to spew conspiracy theories in public and still have a chance to be confirmed? It would be no less outrageous if a liberal nominee claimed attacks on him were an attempt to exact revenge on behalf of the religious right.
But Kavanaugh’s rant was a model of sanity compared to a meme that is floating around deplorable Twitter. Far-right blogger Mike Tokes claims that there’s another dimension to Blasey Ford. To hear him talk, there’s a link between Blasey Ford and–wait for it–the Robert Mueller investigation. Specifically, now-former FBI agent Peter Strzok.
Strzok has been a whipping boy for conservatives after it emerged that he exchanged anti-Trump messages with FBI lawyer Lisa Page. Never mind that Mueller booted Strzok from the investigation posthaste once the texts came to light. To Trump diehards, those texts are yet more proof that the investigation is, in the words of their dear one, “RIGGED! and a “WITCH HUNT!”
On Friday, Tokes tweeted a mashup that purported to connect Blasey Ford to Strzok.
So let’s see if we’ve got this right. Since Blasey Ford’s brother works alongside Strzok’s sister-in-law, it proves that Blasey Ford is a paid liar. After all, her effort to smear a good, upstanding judge is actually part of the effort to stop Trump from making America great again.
Frankly, the real surprise is that it took so long for the deplorables to try something like this. . Ever since Blasey Ford dropped her anonymity, a number of right-wing sites have tried to “connect” Blasey Ford to the broader opposition to Trump. Specifically, they have played up the liberal leanings of many of her supporters, as well as Blasey Ford herself. So we have to ask about the political leanings of those who come forward with claims of sexual assault before we believe them now?
Needless to say, saner elements had a field day with Tokes’ attempt to play six degrees of separation. Republican strategist and prominent never-Trumper Rick Wilson, for instance, wondered if this meant there was something fishy about the death of the relative of the friend of a relative.
Veteran journalist Soledad O’Brien was more inclined to take pity on Tokes.
Most of Twitter, however, seems to share Wilson’s inclination to point at Tokes and laugh.
Then again, you may have to pardon Tokes for sounding this bizarre. After all, it’s not often that the deplorables are the ones to play catch-up with Trump and his acolytes in the conspiracy theory department. But if they’re at the point where the best they can do to discredit Blasey Ford is to try to connect her to those turning the hot lights on their messiah, you have to wonder if they have anything left.
- Christian Magazine Lets Frontline Fraudster Prescribe Her Crazy - August 7, 2020
- Pro-Trump Teen: Repubs Shouldn’t ‘Crave Acceptance’ From Dems - August 5, 2020
- Pro-Trump Minister: Better Someone Who Isn’t A ‘Moral Icon’ Than A Socialist - July 30, 2020
- Fundies Declare Reelecting Trump Will Pave Way For Takeover - July 29, 2020
- Trumpvangelical Publisher Sees Parallels Between Trump And Churchill - July 27, 2020
- Trump Ambassador: Dems Have No Right To Criticize Law Enforcement - July 22, 2020
- Wingnut Evangelist: You’re ‘Submitting To The Fear’ If You Wear A Mask - July 19, 2020
- Trumpkin Host: Brian Kemp’s Ban On Local Mask Rules ‘Leads From The Front’ - July 16, 2020
- Tucker Carlson’s Racist Ex-Writer Is Deplorables’ New Martyr - July 14, 2020
- New Poll Shows Trump In Yuuuuuge Trouble In Texas - July 12, 2020