When Rudy Giuliani harrumphed that Stormy Daniels has no credibility because she’s a porn star, it raised serious questions about what happened to his moral compass since joining Donald Trump’s legal team. But less than 48 hours later, he left no doubt that he no longer has a moral compass. He has a replacement in mind if Trump dumps Jeff Sessions as attorney general–Chris Christie.
The (Bergen County) Record learned that just days before handing New Jersey’s governorship to his Democratic successor, Phil Murphy, Christie opened a law firm in Morristown. Giuliani told The Record that he funneled a number of clients to Christie, a claim that Christie denies through a spokesman.
Christie seems to have no intention of returning to public life after spending all but 11 months of the last 15 years as either U. S. Attorney in New Jersey or as governor. But given his closeness to Trump, his name has been bandied about for a post in the Trump administration. Giuliani became the latest to fuel this speculation when he mused about the prospect that Sessions could be on the way out.
In recent days, Trump has made little effort to hide that he is very upset with his attorney general. For instance, panelists on CNN’s “Erin Burnett OutFront” couldn’t help but notice that when Trump praised the members of his cabinet during a visit to FEMA headquarters, the only one he didn’t mention by name was Sessions. Watch here.
Reportedly, Fox News host Judge Jeanine Pirro has been openly campaigning for the job. But Giuliani thinks that Trump ought to take a closer look at Christie. He told The Record that if Sessions is pushed out, Christie would be his “No. 1 candidate” to replace him. While Giuliani conceded that Christie may be “too involved” with his new private practice, he believes Christie “has unlimited possibilities” for the future.
Apparently Giuliani would like us to forget about Bridgegate. Although no evidence has surfaced that Christie was directly involved in the decision to deliberately shut down lanes on the George Washington Bridge, he bears moral responsibility.
Think about it. Bridget Kelly, Bill Baroni and David Wildstein knew that shuttering the lanes would not only snarl traffic, but endanger people’s lives. Remember, ambulances were unable to get through, and a search for a missing four-year-old was prolonged because officers couldn’t be spared from directing traffic.
And yet, they were willing to do it in order to screw people who dared to vote for Christie’s Democratic challenger in 2013, Barbara Buono. It is inconceivable that they would have even tried this unless Christie fostered an environment in his administration that made it acceptable. Simply put, Bridgegate represented a breach of the most sacred trust in a democracy–that a government will not willfully put the people in harm’s way.
Christie says he didn’t know any of his staffers were in on it until he read about it on his iPad. At best, he was disengaged in a way he simply could not be. New Jersey’s governor is the most powerful governor in the contiguous 48 states. He and the lieutenant governor are the only statewide elected officials, and he appoints nearly all major state officers. Nearly all day-to-day state administration is concentrated in his hands. Even if Christie didn’t know, he should have made it his business to know.
If Trump were to even consider making Christie attorney general in the wake of Bridgegate, it would leave no doubt that he is engaged in an all-out assault on democracy.
- Trump-Worshiping Fundies: Americans Must Bow Down To Orange Calf Or ‘Just Get Out’ (VIDEO) - June 21, 2018
- Marine Corps Blow Chance To Take Stand Against Neo-Nazis In Ranks (VIDEO) - June 20, 2018
- Karma May Be About To Visit Trump–Two Top Minions Feeling Squeeze From Feds (TWEET) - June 18, 2018
- Rudy Giuliani: Mueller’s Investigation Is Led By ‘Wackadoodles’ (TWEET) - June 17, 2018
- Religious Right Selling Its Soul To Swamp Creature Scott Pruitt (TWEET/VIDEO) - June 16, 2018
- Dear Leader Trump Wants Us To Listen To Him Like North Korea Listens To Kim Jong-Un (TWEETS) - June 15, 2018
- Michael Cohen May Be Headed To Jail–And May Be Taking Others With Him (VIDEO) - June 13, 2018
- Trump Sings Praises To The Name Of ‘Dear Respected’ Kim Jong-un (VIDEOS) - June 13, 2018
- Congress Is Letting Scott Pruitt Turn EPA Into An Overflowing Swamp (VIDEO/TWEETS) - June 11, 2018
- Chris Christie Is Rudy’s ‘No. 1 Candidate’ For Attorney General In Place Of Sessions (VIDEO) - June 10, 2018