So-called “Secretary of Education” Betsy DeVos may not be able to construct a coherent sentence, spell or successfully feign interest in educating anyone not born with a trust fund but she can show us all how much more superior she is by placing her unworthy carcass into the most ostentatious “summer home” this side of the French Revolution.
Instead of improving the lives of her fellow countrymen, no surprise, DeVos spends the wealth bestowed upon her on the trappings of luxury – like the 22,000-square-foot nautical-themed McMansion that was hilariously critiqued for Vox by Kate Wagner, an architect who publishes the blog, “McMansion Hell.”
In a piece dedicated to the Public School teachers who taught her to write, Wagner writes, “My mission for the past three years as the creator of the architectural humor blog McMansion Hell has been to unpack what makes mansions like DeVos’s so terrible, from both an architectural and social standpoint. It’s bad enough that we have a president who oversaw a massive redistribution of wealth toward the already wealthy through tax breaks. What’s worse is that obscenely wealthy people like him waste all their money building pseudo-castles and other eclectic tragedies, all while wagging their finger at the rest of us telling us to eat cake.”
Wagner finds poetic justice in her getting paid to critique DeVos’ grotesquely bad taste.
“As someone who owes tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt, getting paid to make fun of DeVos’s tacky seaside decor is one of few ways to both feed myself and make myself feel better.”
Wagner then gets down to business ripping apart DeVos’ repulsive McMansion.
in order to earn money to pay off my $42k of student loan debt, I roasted Betsy DeVos’ house: https://t.co/03VHFXxECP
— mcmansion hell, lazy millennial (@mcmansionhell) August 6, 2018
“The home attempts to play on the historical American school of architecture known as the shingle style,” she wrote. “This style, often seen by historians as a combination of the emerging Arts and Crafts movement and 19th-century eclecticism, is known for its extensive use of shingles as a building material and its multi-massed (massing is a fancy word for a building’s three-dimensional forms) architectural complexity.”
“Betsy likely went with this style because it is very popular in New England and in coastal enclaves of the rich and famous in general.”
Wagner wraps it up succinctly, “Architecture is never a vacuum. This house sucks, but like all buildings, it is a reflection of both the people and the broader culture that make building it both possible and desirable. Those, too, irrefutably suck.”
DeVos has zero educational experience and has never stepped foot inside a public school, yet she was handed her post in congratulations for being born rich and having the continued foresight for marrying Amway CEO Dick DeVos. It’s as if her McMansion is a giant metaphor for her life. Money may be able to buy you a big house and a position in government, but can’t buy taste and it can’t buy you the ability to not suck.
- Architect: Betsy DeVos’ Ostentatious McMansion Sucks - August 8, 2018
- GOP Candidate Hardy Billington is Really Anti-Gay. Methinks He Doth Protest Too Much. - August 7, 2018
- Meghan McCain is the Poster Child for Why We Need to Save Democracy by Taxing the Rich - July 26, 2018
- Trump Supporter “Sees the Light” After ICE Deports her Daughter-in-Law - July 25, 2018
- Oathkeepers No-Show to Their Own Protest at Maxine Waters’ Office, Counter Protest Ensues - July 20, 2018
- Newspapers Worldwide Declare Trump a “Putin’s Poodle” Traitor - July 17, 2018
- Trump Doesn’t Seem to Know the Difference Between England, the U.K. and Great Britain - July 16, 2018
- Conservative Columnist Mocks GOP’s Strzok Hearing: ‘There’s a Reason They’re Called the Stupid Party’ (VIDEO) - July 13, 2018
- Sarah Huckabee Sanders Wants Us To Believe John Kelly is as Petty and Small As Trump - July 12, 2018
- Caught on Camera – Racist Harasses Woman for Wearing Shirt Depicting Puerto Rican Flag As Cops Do Nothing - July 10, 2018