For right-wing columnist and provocatrice Ann Coulter, hitting below the belt is standard operating procedure. She has openly suggested that conservatives may take matters into their own hands and organize death squads to clear out immigrants if the GOP doesn’t take a tougher line on immigration–not once, but twice. She also believes that only Americans whose families have been here for at least four generations should be allowed to vote.
But on Saturday morning, Coulter showed us just how low her standards are–and may have given us reason to question whether she has any at all.
For most of the week, Christine Blasey Ford, the accuser who claims Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her when they were both teenagers, has been in a bare-knuckles dispute with the Senate Judiciary Committee over whether and when she will testify about her ordeal. Committee chairman Chuck Grassley wanted Grassley to testify this coming Wednesday.
However, according to Politico, Blasey Ford claimed that she couldn’t testify any earlier than Thursday because she wasn’t willing to fly from her home in the Bay Area to Washington. She has reportedly told friends that she is somewhat “uncomfortable in confined spaces.” Thus, more likely than not, she will have to drive across the country in order to testify.
When Coulter saw this, she fired off the 280-character equivalent of a belly laugh.
Coulter isn’t known for looking into things before spewing diarrhea of the mouth. But even allowing for that fact, this swipe at Blasey Ford is particularly callous. Apparently Coulter hasn’t considered or doesn’t want to consider that Blasey Ford is extremely nervous about reliving the worst ordeal of her life. And she has to do so in front of a national television audience.
That prospect would unnerve someone with even the strongest constitution. But it’s a near-certainty that going before the Judiciary Committee has triggered Blasey Ford’s longstanding anxiety about flying–and under the circumstances, that can’t easily be overcome.
If you bothered to consider that, Ann, Blasey Ford’s request to allow for time to drive to Washington doesn’t look so crazy after all. We know that you have as much empathy as a mosquito. But this swipe at a very credible accuser proves that you’re a cold, cold, cold woman. It also proves that you’re shallow and lazy–just like you said Trump was shallow and lazy.
Coulter was following on the heels of First Son Donald Trump Jr., who harrumphed that it didn’t make sense for Blasey Ford to insist on allowing for time to drive since she’s likely flown a number of times before. Apparently it didn’t occur to Donald Jr. that none of those times involved having to testify about a horrifying ordeal like sexual assault.
So in the space of less than 24 hours, two very prominent conservatives thought it was okay to take a swipe at a sexual assault accuser who was making a more than reasonable request to allow adequate time for her to come to Washington to testify. In so doing, they have given us a lot of reason to question whether lack of empathy is a requirement to be a Republican in the Trump era.
Ultimately, Grassley relented, and allowed Blasey Ford to appear on Thursday. But if you believe Coulter, Grassley was knuckling under to a snowflake. And she and her right-wing compatriots wonder why we call them deplorable?
- Trump Degrades Women, But Still Supposedly Has Faith ‘Close To His Heart’ - October 18, 2018
- RWNJ Podcaster: Stormy Daniels Is A ‘Vile Creature,’ Not A Woman - October 17, 2018
- Pat Robertson: We Shouldn’t Be ‘Screaming Blood’ Over Journalists Being Murdered - October 15, 2018
- This Trump Judicial Choice Doesn’t Please The Religious Right - October 14, 2018
- Phil Robertson: Dems Were ‘Satanic’ For Trying To Stop Kavanaugh - October 12, 2018
- RWNJ Pundit Warns That George Soros Is ‘Right-Hand Man’ Of Antichrist–At Least - October 12, 2018
- Saudis Had Contract On Dissident, White House Knew And May Have Done NOTHING - October 10, 2018
- Trump Thinks Murkowski Was ‘Disgraceful’ To Put Basic Decency Over Party - October 8, 2018
- Kimberly Guilfoyle Proves She’s A Trump, Takes Cheap Shot At Beto O’Rourke - October 7, 2018
- Fundie Publisher Dismisses Blasey Ford’s Claims As ‘Nickel And Dime Stuff’ - October 5, 2018