Republicans cannot legitimately win elections on the basis of their kiss up/kick down, class war “ideas,” so for decades they’ve been pulling every dirty trick in their book to prevent people from voting. As the normal people of Alabama attempted to stop the serial pedophile Roy Moore from representing them in the so-called “world’s most deliberative body,” many were surprised to find they’d been purged from the voting rolls.
Pema Levy of Mother Jones writes, “Almost as soon as voting was underway on Tuesday, civil rights groups began receiving hundreds of complaints of voter suppression, and residents and reporters took to social media to report tactics used to intimidate minority voters or force them to cast provisional ballots.
The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law had received 235 calls to its voter hotline as of 3:24 p.m. The group aims to provide live assistance to voters, and it’s unclear how many of the calls were to report voting irregularities rather than simply asking for assistance. The NAACP Legal Defense Fund has been collecting reports of voting problems in Alabama, some of them secondhand, including multiple reports of people being put on inactive status and erroneously prevented from voting.”
In Alabama, suppressing the Democratic vote means preventing African Americans from voting.
Newsweek’s Michael Edison Hayden reports, “Brittany Bevelle, a web designer and illustrator, started tweeting this morning about being marked ‘inactive’ at her local polling location. ‘Folks who have lived here longer than I’ve been alive….inactive,’ Bevelle wrote on Twitter. Her thread got people’s attention, and has already been retweeted thousands of times.”
Newsweek’s Hayden continues, “Although Bevelle, who is black, was able to vote by bringing her birth certificate to the polling location, others may not be so fortunate, according to rights groups. The ACLU of Alabama and the NAACP of Alabama told Newsweek specifically that black residents in the state have encountered complications while attempting to vote—news that could disproportionately damage Jones, the Democrat.
‘We have been getting calls from people having different complications at our polling places,’ Rebecca Seung-Bickley, communications manager for ACLU of Alabama, told Newsweek. ‘Some of it we anticipated, like the inactive status situation [mentioned by Bevelle]. Unfortunately, some people are being told they can’t vote.’”
Be it voter ID laws, voter caging or gerrymandering, rather than meet their opponents fairly on the field of ideas, Republicans pour their energy into preventing Democratic-leaning constituencies from exercising the right so many true patriotic Americans fought, bled and died to entrust to us – the right to vote.
Make no mistake, the voter-suppression tactics on display in Alabama are but a preview of what’s to come when so-called president Trump seeks to keep his greed-centered, tiny, fingers around the neck of power. After all, voter suppression helped put him in office in the first place.
Copyright 2017 Republican Dirty Tricks
- Entire New York bar Shows Us all how Nazis – like Milo Yiannopoulos – Should be Greeted (VIDEO) - April 23, 2018
- On Earth Day, Trump Calls For Deregulation That Made the EPA Necessary In the First Place - April 22, 2018
- Racist Idiots (I know, I repeat) Are Too Busy Making Racist Displays to Learn Who Won the Civil War (Video) - April 21, 2018
- Anti-LGBT Liberty Counsel Attorney Says Satan is to Blame for Sex Ed In Schools (VIDEO) - April 20, 2018
- GOP Senator Says Asking Whether He’ll Back Trump in 2020 is a “Gotcha Question” (Video) - April 19, 2018
- Trump Gets the Year of Death Wrong in Official Condolences for Barbara Bush - April 17, 2018
- Another Threatening Racist Tirade Caught on Cell Phone Video - April 17, 2018
- White Guy Shoots Himself With A Stolen Gun And Blames Two Black Men, Of Course - April 16, 2018
- Irony Alert! Trump Calls James Comey an “Untruthful Slime Ball” - April 13, 2018
- Donald Trump Wants To Know Why The World Doesn’t “Thank” Him - April 12, 2018